2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello.

First of all, sorry for my terrible english and now to the point. :)

I am interested in buying honda civic mk8 and have a few questions regarding this car. I've read some articules describing pros and cons of this car and one that worries me the most is that engine 1.8i vtec consumes oil. Is this serious issue, meaning is it present in every 1.8 engine or there are some cases where this problem is present? As far as I know this issue cannot be easily diagnose because I've asked a few mechanics and all of them told me the same thing "You will know if your car burns oil month after you bought it, there is no other way". ;-)

The other thing is rust, but here some people say that this gen (8) is much better than previous.

Here are some pictures of the car I am thinking of:

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lJqurlc5E9FGKgp2WBvIA_dhCi5ou_Zf

Can you see anything unusual or out of order in this particular car?

Thank you and best regards.

·
i-Vtec
1,669 Posts
Looks like a good example of an Si with the addition of Factory parking sensors(or were these part of the Si spec?). As for burning oil I always think that is caused by a lack of proper oil changes with good quality oil. I see its been changed with 5/30, id say 0/40 is better but everyone has their own opinion on that. 40 is more stable at high temps so less likely to burn off. Rust is only prevalent on the windscreen roof edge due to poor painting so check there, but its no an issue elsewhere on the Gen 8. Another plus point and a sign that its a looked after example and had a good previous owner is that its got Continental tyres and no Chinese rubbish.
Looks like a nice example to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your time and opinion.
This car ain't perfect because I've already seen it in person it has some paint scratches etc (there are invisible in pictures, this is photoshop magic as they say ;-) ) but overall it looks quite good. As for the tyres, yes previous owner changed them but only on front axle, on rear axle there are fitted old ones, this is another example of photoshop magic. ;-)

One more time thank you, I really needed opinion somebody who knows this car and can tell me if something is out of order.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
That looks well smart and tidy, which bodes well for being regularly maintained.

I wouldn't worry too much about what may or may not be an issue. All cars are something of a gamble, just do your due diligence.

The 1.8 is a solid engine, all Honda engines are pretty good and often better than the competition.

If the car feels right then it will probably be okay.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I've got a 2007 1.8 that I've owned for over six and a half years now, mileage not too high at 83k, but I've had no issues with oil consumption.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Twar, I have owned a 2010 Civic Si 1.8 petrol since May this year, used it daily, no issues with oil consumption whatsoever. As others have said, use a good quality oil (I use Castrol Titanium Edge) brought off the interweb at a good price. As long as you look after them the engine is solid, in fact the engine reliability is the MAIN reason I brought the Civic in the first instance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx lads, I'll think about this car for another day and probably I'll call the guy. :smile3:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Thank you for your time and opinion.
This car ain't perfect because I've already seen it in person it has some paint scratches etc (there are invisible in pictures, this is photoshop magic as they say ;-) ) but overall it looks quite good. As for the tyres, yes previous owner changed them but only on front axle, on rear axle there are fitted old ones, this is another example of photoshop magic. ;-)

One more time thank you, I really needed opinion somebody who knows this car and can tell me if something is out of order.
Scratches in the paint are normal. The Honda paint seems to be quite soft so does mark easily. A good MOP might remove most of them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello.
I've found another example and right now I cannot decide which color I like better :smile3:
What do you think about this one? -> otomoto.pl/oferta/honda-civic-1-8i-vtec-sport-gt-18-lift-oplacona-skora-bezkolizyjna-pdc-unikat-ID6Bypeq.html
btw I know that quality of above pictures is quite poor, tomorrow I am going ask this guy if he can send me better quality and sharper images.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is definitely very polished which is very suspicion. :laugh2:

Back to the red one. One thing I've noticed is this poor alignment of plastic on bumpers marked with green rectangle: -> dropbox.com/sh/xvrd2in9bjn54oi/AADhj5E4_1lqykCvdngzai9Ma?dl=0 LINK
what do you think?, can this be a symptom of something or I am just being paranoid? :smile3:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
It is definitely very polished which is very suspicion. :laugh2:

Back to the red one. One thing I've noticed is this poor alignment of plastic on bumpers marked with green rectangle: -> dropbox.com/sh/xvrd2in9bjn54oi/AADhj5E4_1lqykCvdngzai9Ma?dl=0 LINK
what do you think?, can this be a symptom of something or I am just being paranoid? :smile3:
Those gaps should not be a problem, the plastic trims are not the most robust items.
If you take the wheel arch covers off, for example to change bulbs, then they can be a bit fiddly to line up properly when you put them back.
Worth crawling underneath to check that it all looks okay if you do go look at it. Expect some scuffing on the underside of the splitter where it will almost certainly have grounded on something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx for your answer. :smile3:

Oh boy, all these technical terms were very difficult to put together but I think I've got it. ;-)
btw. this is splitter in a car? Right? ;-)
Tomorrow I'll ask this guy for some more pictures from underneath the car and I really hope he has enough patience for buyer like me. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
The car looks absolutely gorgeous in the photo's! Looks like new, but then for some reason they didn't pay the same amount of details for cleaning to the engine compartment. Not saying it is a problem at all, but stands out.

Regarding the oil, got my car for a year now and abuse it in a way that I drive too often with too little distances on daily base and take it for a good spin in the weekends. Consumed about 1 liter per 10000km. I use Castrol, not sure about the exact type.

If it sings to you I would say go for it, forget about the oil worries, even if it was an issue keep in mind all cars have there ups and downs.

So far after a year I am still happy everyday I get behind the wheel. In whole honestly I do dislike the rattles, although eliminate most of them.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Thx for your answer. :smile3:

Oh boy, all these technical terms were very difficult to put together but I think I've got it. ;-)
btw. this is splitter in a car? Right? ;-)
Tomorrow I'll ask this guy for some more pictures from underneath the car and I really hope he has enough patience for buyer like me. :)
Yes, splitter is the lower part of the bumper. More likely to be scuffed on TypeR than the standard 1.8/2.2 since it sits lower by 15mm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The car looks absolutely gorgeous in the photo's! Looks like new, but then for some reason they didn't pay the same amount of details for cleaning to the engine compartment. Not saying it is a problem at all, but stands out.
In this country people believe in this theory that if you clean engine compartment you are trying to hide something, for example oil leak or other kind of leak so some salesmen just do not do it. Others clean engine compartment and after that make it look dirty once again but without any leak visible at least for time being, there are many tricks in their sleeve. :wink3:

Btw.
I've noticed that above mentioned blue civic has 18 inches alloy wheels, how bad is driving on that thing when it comes to comfort? In addition I've read somewhere that it causes faster suspension wear and increases fuel consumption significantly.
Here are some sample hi-res pictures of this blue one -> click

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha okay, clear :) and just out of curiosity 'this country' is?

I am driving 16" in the winter and 17" in the summer, so can't tell how 18" is but I can tell you no matter how much I love my car it just isn't that comfortable on bumpy roads, and people who drive behind me hate me for going extremely slow over speed bumps in my country (NL) they f..g love those annoying things.

It may sound negative but it is not a real downside for me really, but if you take the blue or the red one (hmm how Matrix) out for a spin make sure you get off the highway and check it for yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
This strange country is poland. ;-)
I have driven red one and had no complaints whatsoever when it comes to suspension, I agree it's quite stiff but comfort was acceptable especially taking into account fact we have roads full of holes and bumps. On the other hand it was quite slow ride (something about 40km/h) so this could affect my perception.
How do you compare fuel consumption on both of those tyres? Or maybe this is something you never put much attention on? ;-)

btw
I selected this option in menu describing country but I must missed something else because it does not show in my profile. Maybe in the future I get some better luck. ;-)

TIFTFY (M8TJT)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts