2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound a bit stupid but I've never noticed this noise before. My back seats are currently down and as such everything is a lot noisier in the car at the moment. I have noticed a buzzing/whining sound coming from the back of the car when I take the foot off the gas in high revs. Is this normal? It also seems as if the car is braking even though I'm not pressing the pedal.

Any help would be great....I'm maybe being paranoid but just wondered if anyone can shed any light.

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Do either of the back wheels feel hot or "smell"?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no mate....it's not slow at getting the speed up (no noise either) it's just when you come off the gas it feels like an exhaust brake in a truck. The noise is really hard to describe but it is like a buzzing/whining noise and seems to be coming from the back left of the car. It actually sounds like my bmw did when the fuel pump was on the way out but that didnt brake when you lifted your foot. Weird one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just took car out again there.....its defo not as noticeable with the seats back in position. I know this is probably a coincidence but the other thing I noticed is that the noise instantly goes away when the car reaches the old vtec crossover at 5400 (vtec now at 3500 after map)

I took a wee video of the noise...you can defo hear it in the video...hard to describe the sound and defo coming from rear end:

https://vid.me/jDjg

·
Enjoying life
8,533 Posts
Rear wheel bearing gone?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
surely if it was a wheel bearing though it would be present when driving at any speed...it's only doing it when I hit vtec and take my foot off. It also disappears totally once the revs drop to 5400. Sound like a pump of some sort to be honest...weird one.

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
If it's a rev dependant sound from the back of the vehicle, then check the zoorst for leaks, rattling muffler or a loose heat shield.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,277 Posts
The spare tyre well acts as an amplifier for exhaust related noise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Does anyone know if there is another fuel pump at the rear of the car or is it just the in tank one? The noise really does sound electrical at the rear of the car. Car is in the garage just now but might not be looked at for a day or two.

·
Administrator
18,013 Posts
The fuel tank is under the driver/passenger seat and as the engine is up front you won't find a fuel pump in the boot. In fact there is very little in the boot...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as I know the alarm works...not heard it in a while right enough. It's really strange though because it totally vanishes when the revs drops to 4700. Guess I'll just have to wait until I hear back from garage. Thanks for your input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts