2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's annoying when this happens. I now have the joy of the next 5 years of being shafted on insurance due to a moron not paying attention. You must declare non-fault accidents as well for 5 years.
The person that rear ended me walked out of his car phone in hand, obvious why he went into me. Insurance were going to cancel my policy if I didn't buy the vehicle back, so I just bought it back for like £250. 10% of the value or something daft.
Mine was only a category N though.

·
Super Moderator
2,077 Posts
The reason being
If they pay out as write off then policy is classed as run its life
So by buying back you have continued the policy

·
i-Vtec
2,229 Posts
Insurance were going to cancel my policy if I didn't buy the vehicle back,
Well that's a new one. Since when did you become responsible for a written off car, and one written off by a third party? Your insurance can make a full caim off the other car drivers insurance, as long as you were not at fault, so there should be no issue with any remaining outstanding policy payments.

·
Super Moderator
1,103 Posts
Scaramanga's correct.
If they write it off and pay you off, policy is closed.
The scrap metal is then their property.
Recovery of the costs is then between the insurance companies.

·
i-Vtec
2,229 Posts
Scaramanga's correct.
If they write it off and pay you off, policy is closed.
The scrap metal is then their property.
Recovery of the costs is then between the insurance companies.
But surely they cant force someone to buy a car back or cancel someone's policy if they dont, especially if the OP is not at fault. People will be losing out on NCB, especially if they are at no fault? Technically they then have a "Policy Cancelled" marker against their name when they have done nothing wrong.
Insurance companies are just a law unto themselves.

·
Registered
235 Posts
But surely they cant force someone to buy a car back or cancel someone's policy if they dont, especially if the OP is not at fault. People will be losing out on NCB, especially if they are at no fault? Technically they then have a "Policy Cancelled" marker against their name when they have done nothing wrong.
Insurance companies are just a law unto themselves.
Oh the insurance can do what they wish. They're a business they don't give a monkeys about the consumer behind them. Which is why I'm never loyal to a insurer, I change company each and every renewal. I've NEVER had a cheap renewal. Always a good £200-£500 more expensive than the quotation sites.
Not to mention my insurance is up £200 this year due to the non-fault claim I have to declare for the next 3-5 years.
I bought my car back, fixed the bumper back on and just drove it around for a month or two then sold it and bought my Honda and transferred the insurance which only had a two months left when I got ran into.

·
i-Vtec
2,229 Posts
It was just a bumper that was damaged? See that is where I would not have gone through my insurance, I would just have made a claim via the other parties insurance. I have done it this way now 3 times.
Always a good £200-£500 more expensive than the quotation sites.
Jesus, how much are you paying? I think this year I was only £180 fully comp this year. But yes I never stay with a company either, they don't want your loyalty. My dad was with the Prudential for 20+ years, couldn't believe it when he eventually left and they did nothing to keep him.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It was just a bumper that was damaged?
Bumper & boot had a scuff. Boot was moved over to the left and a big gap on the right. I was rear ended on a 40mph road, he pushed my car about 2 car lengths forward. Actually gave me whiplash & back muscle damage.

I'd always go through insurance. People have had people coming back a month or two down the line saying they reversed into them. And it isn't exactly cheap to go out & get bodywork done. I ain't footing a bill for someone else's negligence. He came out of his car phone in hand.
Funnily enough he was just saying "only lacquer" at the crash. The whole bumper was cracked and pulled out of its rivets.

·
I Hate tailgaters!
1,394 Posts
Which is why I now have dash cam front and rear. Rear just plugged into 12v in boot. Hopefully to catch them on mobile if I get rear ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts