2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Honda dealer recently serviced my 2012 petrol Civic with 24,000 miles on the clock. They told me the handbrake travel was too long and suggested the cause was the caliper and was probably both sides. The explanation was the cable overextends due to a fault in the sealed unit and the result could be that the handbrake might not hold despite the brake feeling positive when has been fully applied. In a nutshell they suggest they both need replacing. They also indicated there have been bulletins on this from Honda so they are quite sure this is the problem, but could not show me the detail. They insisted ( probably correctly) it was a component failure and not a design fault. The car passed an MOT a month ago and drives well, but is out of warranty. This is an expensive job and I feel a bit cheated as this is my first Honda and I bought it for it's reputation for quality and reliability. Is this just a hard luck story or or can anyone throw any light on this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
And both callipers need replacing?

Why not replace all 4 and the engine as well.

If there is a TSB, honda are aware of a design fault then no?
As this is early for failure of a component on a newish car, heck not even heard of this on a 8th gen civic.
I know the handbrake cable can be adjusted via a tensioner(think it is accessed in the centre console.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just noticed someone also mentioned this on Honest John website:

Honda Civic 2012 - Car Review | Honest John

If you scroll down to the section "what to watch out for":

HonestJohn said:
25-4-2016: Complaint of being quoted £1,000 for replacement of rear brake calipers on 30,000 miles 2012 Honda Civic diesel.
So it looks like someone else has experienced this a few months ago. It might be worth posting on their forums and asking what the outcome was...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And both callipers need replacing?

Why not replace all 4 and the engine as well.

If there is a TSB, honda are aware of a design fault then no?
As this is early for failure of a component on a newish car, heck not even heard of this on a 8th gen civic.
I know the handbrake cable can be adjusted via a tensioner(think it is accessed in the centre console.
Yes both calipers need replacing due to an internal part failing inside both rear calipers. They insist it is a known component failure and not a design fault. The cable does not need adjusting. Apparently it is the brake not holding fast on the disk that is at fault and that is not due to wear, but due to the caliper's internal mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Yes both calipers need replacing due to an internal part failing inside both rear calipers. They insist it is a known component failure and not a design fault. The cable does not need adjusting. Apparently it is the brake not holding fast on the disk that is at fault and that is not due to wear, but due to the caliper's internal mechanism.
Known component failure or common fault huh.

Like the badly designed master clutch cylinder on the 8th gens
That had a TSB and was a known component failure too.

Not a bad idea to get a second opinion or complain to honda UK.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I have a 2012 model as well, had the exact same problem and the calipers were replaced under warranty a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'll keeping an eye on mine too, as it's almost exactly the same age and mileage, but it's not due for service for another year. I always park with the car in gear though so a parking brake failure would be hard for me to notice in everyday use (and there aren't enough steep hills in Cambridge for me to find out at traffic lights)

OP's complaint made it on to the same HonestJohn page, and got published as well:
Honda Civic handbrake issue | Ask Honest John | Honest John

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow! glad I read this.

I've got a 2012 plate which has done 31,000 miles. Over the past few weeks I've noticed the handbrake would suddenly have no resistance, i.e. normally it's 3-4 clicks but when this happens it's more like 8-9 and comes up much higher than normal. It seems to go away if I pump the foot brake a few times. I've still got a couple of months on the warranty, so does this sound like the same issue?

Thanks

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Interesting reply from HonestJohn. He's obviously been here before.

I'm a fully paid up member of Which? Legal so I'd have no hesitation to get them involved.

I never put my handbrake on on level ground, just flop it in to 'P' but if it's affecting 2012 models then my 2013 may be in line although mine's only done 15k.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
Wow! glad I read this.

I've got a 2012 plate which has done 31,000 miles. Over the past few weeks I've noticed the handbrake would suddenly have no resistance, i.e. normally it's 3-4 clicks but when this happens it's more like 8-9 and comes up much higher than normal. It seems to go away if I pump the foot brake a few times. I've still got a couple of months on the warranty, so does this sound like the same issue?

Thanks

Hmmm, mine has been doing that for a long time, I wondered why sometimes the hand brake almost hit the ceiling!! :serious:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine's been like that since day 1, actually was like that on the test drive too. I just thought it hadn't been pulled up enough by the dealer. Dealer MOT'ed the car between my buying it and collecting it though and there were no advisories so maybe that isn't necessarily the main symptom of the problem?

(I'm guessing the most obvious symptom would be the handbrake failing on a slope...)

·
Registered
41 Posts
But... but... but... that's the sort of thing one would expect from a Ford, Vauxhall or VW dealer... surely not Honda! :laugh:

·
Administrator
20,959 Posts
Back in the 70's a mate fancied a Hillman Hunter on a forecourt. It looked OK but the used car garage also had a MOT bay round the back.

Even though the car had a recent full years MOT he put it through at the end of his solo test drive, and it failed miserably. He walked away. The salesman was livid but it shows the value of a full years MOT on some forecourt cars.

it looks like they've stopped selling cars but they still do MOT's 40 years on:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5207556,-0.4554658,3a,75y,235.93h,87.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_5Mjilir94afjd0BWGStuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

·
Registered
190 Posts
I must admit mine is intermittent, normally it's 2 clicks, but last night it was 5 clicks, but has been all the way up to 10 - bizarre!

I've got it booked in with Honda at the end of the week, they did seem to be aware of an issue with the caliper. I just hope I don't get a "we can't reproduce the problem" or the warranty doesn't cover it.

My other questions would be, have they made a modification to the caliper to fix the issue, or will the replacement do the same thing in another 30k miles?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts