2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

(see thread) Does your car lights dim for a second when using AC or rear de-mister?

• Yes

Votes: 28 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 44.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: When your car is on idle (either from cold or warmed up) and you turn on your rear de-mister or AC or use your windows does your headlights, interior light or rear lights dim for a second then go back to normal?

Following on from my previous thread about my earthing kit not making any difference to my dimming lights issue I have done some digging and testing.

I put a multimeter across the battery and it's reading over 12 volts when the engine is off. I tested the alternator using 2 tests:

- Made sure everything electrical (as possible) was off and took the car to 2500rpm whilst idle and put a multimeter across the battery. It should be reading between 13.5-14.4 volts and mine was.....14.4v

- Next test was to turn everything electrical (as possible) on and took the car to 2500rpm whilst idle and put a multimeter across the batter. It should still be able to read 14 volts but any less than 13 volts and the alternator is faulty, my reading were.........14.1v

So from my tests my alternator is charging my battery correctly however, with the engine on and the multimeter in place I can turn something electrical on and the volts will drop by up to 0.5v then return to normal within a second. Is this normal?

What I am trying to understand is if the Type R does this as standard? When idle do people notice that their lights (interior, rear and head lights) will dim slightly for a second then come back to normal when using the windows or rear de-mister or AC???

I will be contacting the dealership that I bought the car from tomorrow about this and ask them to take a look. But if I tell them the problem and they perform the same tests as me they will find that there is nothing wrong :(, is there anything wrong?

Sorry for the long winded talk.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
What I am trying to understand is if the Type R does this as standard? When idle do people notice that their lights (interior, rear and head lights) will dim slightly for a second then come back to normal when using the windows or rear de-mister or AC???
Mine does. I dont understand what the problem is to be honest?

·
Living the dream!
8,543 Posts
Question: When your car is on idle (either from cold or warmed up) and you turn on your rear de-mister or AC or use your windows does your headlights, interior light or rear lights dim for a second then go back to normal?

I will be contacting the dealership that I bought the car from tomorrow about this and ask them to take a look. But if I tell them the problem and they perform the same tests as me they will find that there is nothing wrong :(, is there anything wrong?

Sorry for the long winded talk.

And the dealer will be telling the truth as this is a power spike caused by the load / current you have just placed on the electrical system, a more powerful battery will help but I doubt it will cure this.

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
Mine do and i also have an earthing kit, i agree with Rick too, ive had other cars that when the fan came on the lights would dim too, just mor load on the battery;)

Reactions: parsco

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
Its a startup current, its normal

Reactions: parsco

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, that makes me feel loads better about it. I've never had a car that I've noticed it on before. I don't notice it while driving only when idle at night when my lights are on.

:grouphug: Thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
I had this on my FN2. I also had it on my EP3 before hand.

I've got an earthing kit and I wouldn't say it has gone 100% but it's nowhere near as noticeable as before.

Since fitting the HIDs I've got rid of the issue altogether! :p

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had this on my FN2. I also had it on my EP3 before hand.

I've got an earthing kit and I wouldn't say it has gone 100% but it's nowhere near as noticeable as before.

Since fitting the HIDs I've got rid of the issue altogether! :p

Best way to check mate is turn your interior light on and then put load on the battery to see if it dims.

Maybe I should get some HIDs to solve the problem ;)

·
Premium Member
6,733 Posts
... and create a new problem lol :police:
You can have a gander at mine on the 19th bud. They won't be much different from Tims in CW, just no washers and auto-levellers. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,644 Posts
You can have a gander at mine on the 19th bud. They won't be much different from Tims in CW, just no washers and auto-levellers. :rolleyes:
Oh dear... I can see where this is going... more money going to be spent!

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
You're worrying over nothing mate. My old Peugeot 206 did this when the fan/AC comes on, as does both my mum's Honda Jazz, as well as my wife's Fiat 500, as does my CTR. That should put your mind at ease :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts