2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who is dissatisfied with the Tomtom Camera database, or any other POI based system will be interested in Talex's latest product announced this week.

It is a fully integrated software application for all Tomtom sat navs (except PDAs at the moment) which uses Talex's award winning camera database and offers spoken and visual warnings of Gatso, Truvelo, SPECS, Red Light and possible mobile camera locations.

What is great is that the warnings are road specific, direction specific and speed sensitive, so you DON'T get loads of unwanted alerts.

It's available to download from Auto Best Buy at: http://tinyurl.com/276km9

Doug

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Also

If you want another continuously updated, accurate camera database for the TomTom then PocketGPSWorld take some beating.

I had mine configured with the third party .ogg files that allowed you to not have to look at the TomTom when approaching a camera because it spoke the type of camera and speed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also

If you want another continuously updated, accurate camera database for the TomTom then PocketGPSWorld take some beating.

I had mine configured with the third party .ogg files that allowed you to not have to look at the TomTom when approaching a camera because it spoke the type of camera and speed.
Is the pocketgps world one direction specific, speed sensitive and road specific?

The Talex application announces the camera type and speed limit as well. There will be a video on the web site shortly. I'll post a link when it's available.

Doug

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Talex may well have the edge there then.

The PGPSW ones are only directional if you have plotted a route otherwise you get both directions.

Speed sensitive, no, you only get a warning of the speed limit, not how fast you are going.

I have the TalexLite unit so I can under what Talex have to offer as the Lite unit is directional, speed sensitive as well. Compliments the built in SatNav well.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Talex may well have the edge there then.

The PGPSW ones are only directional if you have plotted a route otherwise you get both directions.

Speed sensitive, no, you only get a warning of the speed limit, not how fast you are going.

I have the TalexLite unit so I can under what Talex have to offer as the Lite unit is directional, speed sensitive as well. Compliments the built in SatNav well.

The PGPSW cameras are not directional even with a route planned.
that Talex offering does lok very good. I'll wait to see some real reviews though as I've just renewed my subs for PGPSW.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video on the wb site

that Talex offering does lok very good. I'll wait to see some real reviews though as I've just renewed my subs for PGPSW.
Videos now up on the product page: http://tinyurl.com/2o2jc7

At the moment they both automatically play at the same time as soon as you load the page, so you'll need to hit the pause control. Both videos are very similar.

Doug

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Mine were!

Don't forget that the TomToms have a setting for "Only warn when on route". If that is set to off then you will get all cameras either way, but turn it on and you only get cameras on your side of the road, and only if you have set a route.

Quite often I used to know where I was going so planning the route was pointless, but I had to to avoid getting the ones on the other side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts