2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've driven close to 200k miles with an Origin B2 (Previously I used the Origin Blue i) - and its saved me from getting any additional points on my licence!

(It was the sneaky camera that got me my first 3 Points, when I decided to invest in Camera Locator)!

Its a nice size unit, and pretty adaptable to any preference of configuration you like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With two autistic children in the rear seats causing mayhem all the time, it is easy to miss changes in speed limits especially in strange towns.

So keeping my eyes glued to the needle is not an option

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Being aware of your speed and the road conditions and signs is not an option when your driving?

Seriously, the best way to stop yourself getting a speeding ticket is not to speed. All detectors, no matter what system they use are not 100% effective. Obeying road signs and paying attention is.

This is not a dig at you or at anyone, just simple common sense advice.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
but a tomtom satnav and load it with the latest speed camera updates, about 2 updates each month, you will be surprised where all the mobiles are as well.

·
King of the rodeo
4,830 Posts
Being aware of your speed and the road conditions and signs is not an option when your driving?

Seriously, the best way to stop yourself getting a speeding ticket is not to speed. All detectors, no matter what system they use are not 100% effective. Obeying road signs and paying attention is.

This is not a dig at you or at anyone, just simple common sense advice.
Agreed.

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
thing is would you want to pay £120 every month for an updated map with the new cameras on? my tomtom one v2 sits nicely on the centre console and makes the set noise when im approaching a speed camera fixed or mobile.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
As Potsy has said before, It would have been useful if Honda gave us the ability to add our own multiple POI's (such speed cam locations), downloaded via a CD like the firmware update method and set them as 'Alerts' (with a louder warning).

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,182 Posts
the easiest way would have been to put an sd card reader in the satnav in the glove box and add all your poi inc speed cameras like on the tomtom, may be in the future?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Cruise Control works best for me :) .

Next to that I think that specially when children on the back seat, the focus should be on the road, and the speedo display is easy to read then. This is probably the best way to keep the children on the back seat instead of having empty back seats.....

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
WITHOUT wanting to start (again again again) the whole debate about whether or not speed camera alerts encourage speeding, or actually encourage safer driving...

I've got a Snooper R6 neo fitted in mine, fits nicely to the right of the speedo.

Was one of the best when I bought it, but that was about 3 years ago, and I think things have moved on since.

Only things I would recommend when looking for a new unit are:

easy to remove unit from car when parked up
easy to upload new camera locations
easy to read screen (be careful of screen glare - a backlight helps)

and make sure you can loate it somewhere in line of site - the last thing you need to be doing is looking down at your knees because that was the only place it would fit :)

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,264 Posts
and make sure you can loate it somewhere in line of site - the last thing you need to be doing is looking down at your knees because that was the only place it would fit
I've ordered the EX but I am considering still using my TomTom One as it has the camera database on it (albeit the March 2006 database).

I was actually considering putting it out of sight and just relying on the warning sounds as an indication to check my speed.

Ideally however a dedicated unit that can be charged and therefore used without leads would be nice.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
I've ordered the EX but I am considering still using my TomTom One as it has the camera database on it (albeit the March 2006 database).

I was actually considering putting it out of sight and just relying on the warning sounds as an indication to check my speed.

Ideally however a dedicated unit that can be charged and therefore used without leads would be nice.
Kremmen,

I still use my old tomtom Go300 primarily for the camera warnings when driving in unfamiliar areas. I know there is a big debate about driving within the speed limits (Which I do!), but when Camera Partnerships do things like parking a camera van in front of speed limit signs (Which happened to a friend of mine in Northampton), I think it helps to be aware of what’s around you!

If anyone has a tomtom, you can download an up to date camera database from the following site: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Cameras. It costs £2 for an annual subscription and is up dated monthly. It is much more accurate than tomtom's database and allows you to add real voice warnings.

Another good website/forum for tomtom's is: http://www.yournav.com. If you have an old GO300, 500 or 700 it tells you how to upgrade the latest V6 firmware which the new GO510, 710 & 910's have.

Here you can find detailed info on setting up real voice warnings:

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7891&hl=real%20voice&st=0

If anyone with a tomtom and wants help, let me know and I'll do what I can (Bit of an expert now!)[smilie=sir_spamalo: [/COLOR]

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Road Angel compact with laser detector about £200 nice blue display, picks up mobile sites , fixed sites , congestion charge, level crossings, etc. First six months updates free!

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,264 Posts
I also have the pocketgpsworld database on the TomTom.

I don't make a habit of speeding but the warning sound just prompts you to check.

I just don't want it on the windscreen anymore or the ugly cable trailing across the dash.

Road Angel compact with laser detector about £200 nice blue display, picks up mobile sites , fixed sites , congestion charge, level crossings, etc. First six months updates free!
Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts