2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote on another topic that my car had an unknown fault which I believed to be the clutch Slipping. Basically it lost power for a split second on the motorway and has since taken a couple of goes to start. Anyway the engine management light came on yesterday and the garage have found it to be a faulty camshaft sensor.

How much does this generally cost including fitting. The garage said I have to phone Honda as they couldn't get the part, I'm waiting for a callback know.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Without trying to worry you, camshaft sensor codes are usually the first sign of timing chain woes too. If the code comes back after replacing the sensor, be sure to have the chain / guides / tensioner inspected.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh god what's that, does it cost much lol

Is it easy for a mechanic to check it, I've no idea how much a timing chain costs I thought they didn't break :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick question is error code p0308 likely to be anything else other than the camshaft sensor (or timing chain issues). I'm worried ill get it done and the problem will continue and it may turn out to be something serious. In which case I'll return it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that an expensive fix?

I'm booked in at Honda for a replacement camshaft sensor Tuesday.

I had previously experienced loss of power for a second on the motorway and trouble starting just the once. Could either of these symptoms be the crankshaft sensor ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I look up the code I get cylinder 8 miss fire, could it actually be anything more serious than a sensor ?

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
When I look up the code I get cylinder 8 miss fire, could it actually be anything more serious than a sensor ?

You don't have 8 cylinders. But I would be concerned, if indeed you do have a misfire and you have witnessed a starting issue it is all pointing towards timing chain symptoms.

If it was me I'd try not to use the car until you have it checked out. If you do and the timing chain decides to jump you will be looking at an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the timing chains goes I'm covered by warrenty definitely I believe. I'm gonna get it looked at Tuesday.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would I not hear an issue with the timing chain though? It runs lovely and I can't hear anything rattling.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,788 Posts
Would I not hear an issue with the timing chain though? It runs lovely and I can't hear anything rattling.
A stretched cam chain makes a weird noise at idle with a worn engine... Mine was almost 1cm oversize when I replaced it last year and sounded horrible. But I had no warning light at all.

P0308 is an unusual code for these engines that I cannot find in my usual reference data. Are you sure it was properly read and wasn't merely some spurious ECU glitch? The more common codes relating to camshaft position sensor issues are P0340 - P0344.

Has the light come back on since the reset?

If the vehicle is under warranty then you really should be taking it back to the vendor and making a complaint. Undertaking independant diagnostics and repairs could void any warranty!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I've just started engine from cold with bonnet up, can't hear anything out of place. I'm going back to the garage tomorrow and get it re diagnosed and visually check the chain.

I have spoken to the garage who's agreed to cover most of the cost of fitting the sensor, I was reluctant to go back as it's 100 miles from me. He did give me the option of driving to him and he'd fit it free. I've not had the fault or code appear since and have just driven from Yorkshire to London and back with no problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just thought I would update. I had the camshaft sensor replaced with Honda for £86, the starting fault became a lot more frequent and I had to turn the engine over several times for it to start. It seems to have rectified the problem and I've also noticed it feels a lot nippier in the low gears, not so much hesitation so it does seem I got lucky.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts