2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having the engine check light popping on over the last few days, so followed the how tos on here and got the following codes.

In diagnostic mode it gave the one code, PA50 DTC B1155, i cleared this, turned the ignition on and off and it came straight back again.
also did a gauge diagnostic and it came up with error 2, anyone know what this means?

I'd quite like to work out whats wrong with you guys help and then source a replacement part, can anyone help with tracking down what part might be the problem?

Thanks!

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
That code means this

DTC B1155: Gauge Control Module Lost Communication with the MICU (HLSW Message)

This thread might help you

link

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks laney! i've had a read through that thread from start to finish but i couldnt really tell what might be the root cause, sounds like it could either be the main gauge cluster, the MICU itself or a faulty connection.
Also the HLSW part, i'm guessing this means headlight switch something, does that mean it could be something in the wiring for the lights?

I get the feeling its going to be abit hard to track down!

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I had the same error code generated when I removed my gauge cluster. Check that you haven't got a loose connection anywhere but if all seems well then it can be left alone as it only refers to the connection and you'd quite clearly notice if it wasn't plugged in as it would be off!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers! the annoying thing is having the check light flashing on everytime i start the car, is there anything i can do to stop it telling me about this fault?

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
Hmm that's interesting, even though I had that code stored in the system, it was a few weeks before I plugged in an OBD2 reader and checked it. Until then it had been operating normally with the code registered and I didn't get a "check" light anywhere.

This might indicate another fault somewhere?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would make sense, i've tried it in diagnostic mode a few times now and all i'm getting is no dtc but after a few seconds with the ignition on the check sytem message pops up.
think i'll invest in a obd2 reader so i can check for engine codes.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
That would make sense, i've tried it in diagnostic mode a few times now and all i'm getting is no dtc but after a few seconds with the ignition on the check sytem message pops up.
think i'll invest in a obd2 reader so i can check for engine codes.
I've strong doubts that a generic OBDII reader is going to help you here although maybe with more recent ones.

I'd check the connection socket of the Gauge control module (as pictured) is seated correctly first.

If you had more than one DTC showing I think you'd have to replace the MICU.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks laney, i only got the one error when i ran the diagnostic trick using the bit of tin foil which was the B1155 code, i made a note of that,cleared it and it hasn't come back (yet lol) it appears what was making the check light keep coming on was an engine code.
I went out to machine mart today and got one of their obx2 readers and it came up with code p2004 obd2 generic code meaning intake manifold runner ctrl stuck open bank one!
I cleared this code after making a note and have started, switched on and off aload of time etc and the check light no longer shows...... so any ideas or thoughts on this? could it of just got gunked up at some and become stuck but stored the code? can i do anything to fix this?

Cheers for all you input :)

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
Thanks laney, i only got the one error when i ran the diagnostic trick using the bit of tin foil which was the B1155 code, i made a note of that,cleared it and it hasn't come back (yet lol) it appears what was making the check light keep coming on was an engine code.
I went out to machine mart today and got one of their obx2 readers and it came up with code p2004 obd2 generic code meaning intake manifold runner ctrl stuck open bank one!
I cleared this code after making a note and have started, switched on and off aload of time etc and the check light no longer shows...... so any ideas or thoughts on this? could it of just got gunked up at some and become stuck but stored the code? can i do anything to fix this?

Cheers for all you input :)
First have a check that all the hoses are tightly on around the intake manifold runner control as if any of these hoses are split or lose then it'd throw up a fault as equally as if the control were faulty itself.

If you remove the plastic engine cover and find item #16 on the attached diagram that's the intake runner control. Should be left side of the engine.

Attachments

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I've strong doubts that a generic OBDII reader is going to help you here although maybe with more recent ones.

I'd check the connection socket of the Gauge control module (as pictured) is seated correctly first.

If you had more than one DTC showing I think you'd have to replace the MICU.
IIRC the gauge control module is the tacho display, not the speedo - as the speedo doesn't work without the tacho connected, it is the "control" module.

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
IIRC the gauge control module is the tacho display, not the speedo - as the speedo doesn't work without the tacho connected, it is the "control" module.
I own a Honda ESM CD and it refers to both as the gauge control module who knows where the "control logic" circuitry is actually, but could well be in the revcounter part as you say.

@DervBurner - if you do pull the speedo out I'd say it doesn't harm to check the connections of both sockets running to the rev counter display as well as the speedo display.

·
#MrGrumpy
13,117 Posts
I own a Honda ESM CD and it refers to both as the gauge control module who knows where the "control logic" circuitry is actually, but could well be in the revcounter part as you say.

@DervBurner - if you do pull the speedo out I'd say it doesn't harm to check the connections of both sockets running to the rev counter display as well as the speedo display.
It is the rev counter that controls the speedo as I've had them out myself when testing the CTR module I was selling - nice of Honda to be so clear! :lol:

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers guys!! i will have a check of the plugs when i have the dash apart at some point, i had a nose at all the vacuum pipes and can't see anything split or loose, so if the error pops up any more i might just stump up the cash and get a new intake runner control valve as it sounds like a common fault.

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
i'm guessing your car is a 2.2 cdti?
if so there is a common fault with the IMRC valve, which gives that fault code.
it's on car upto 09.
the valve is 115.99 from honda.

·
grease monkey
132 Posts
and for the other code B1155. it says there was loss of comm between the Gauge (tach) and the MICU. have you done anything to the car? taken panels off?? fitted anything??

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cheers oli, yes it is the 2.2 cdti, think i'll have to bite the bullitt and buy the new valve, will give it alittle while and see if it pops the code up again but i think i'll be lucky if it just goes away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts