2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first time posting here I have just brought a 2nd hand 2006 civic ex 1.8 petrol.
It has the factory fitted hids and I think the ballast is failing as they are now flickering even when the car is static.
Can I just unplug the ballast and everything from the ballast to and including the bulbs and install a led kit ? Can some one send a link of what will fit please ,I'm assuming the plug is the same as what goes into the ballast socket ? . As the garage is doing it for me as I don't want to have to strip down the front end to get to the headlights. Or must I stick with ballast and replace these . A huge thank you .
Mike

·
4,773 Posts
My bet would be on the bulbs not the ballasts.

PS. Welcome to CivInfo Mike.

PPS. It is more than likely that others will have a different opinion to mine.

·
i-Vtec
4,735 Posts
Its not something ive come across before, but tbh you'll also run into auto headlight adjuster issues and most likely the wiring is different all the way back to the fuse box. I had a look on ebay and new ballast is "only" £65, probably cheaper in the long run when taking garage hourly rates into account.

·
i-Vtec
4,735 Posts
Actually Ive thought of one other important issue, you'd need two replacement headlights. LED's are a standard H7 fit, they use a spring clip to hold them in. Factory HID bulbs are twist in IIRC.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Personally I would try a set of known good lamps and see if it still flickers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha it was just the bulbs :) . Thanks . Everywhere I read said it was the ballast but as the garage wanted me to buy new bulbs as well ,I took your advice and just brought them first and saved a fortune:)
Many thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts