2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.

I seem to have developed a rattle! I can hear on bumpy surfaces (most roads around here).

Seems to be coming from either my left side or behind me. Gets louder on bumpier surfaces.

I've:

Hooked passenger seatbelt over the seat
Secured rear seat belts in holsters
Tried with / without cables to parcel shelf attached (as a bit loose)
Tried with / without rear seat headrest (behind passenger)
Emptied glove box etc

I've gone around the car and tapping the seat behind the front passenger seat I can hear some form of noise but it sounds more metallic. Tapping under where the seat clips in around the carpet area makes a similar noise but not sure it's the same one. I folded my seats down a while ago and have only realised today I didn't have the stool things clipped in properly (haven't had people in the back) - The hinge at the bottom I couldn't find any way to get the seat in without jamming my fingers in there to lift the hinge out of the way.

All the things I've tried so far have been to no avail and if anything have made it worse.

Really getting on my nerves lol. Anybody have any suggestions? I don't think it's the parcel shelf either.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,229 Posts
What Civic have you got.... If it's the 8G they're a bit crash, bang and wallop at the best of times.... Changing the ARB Bushes and drop links cured mine though.... I've an 8G on 107k.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate,

So I'm discovering! Haha. It's an 08 FN2.

Not drop links etc. pretty sure that it's an internal rattle. It sounds like a plasticy rattle. I can cope with dash rattles but this one is driving me mad lol.

·
Administrator
17,942 Posts
How annoying.

Have you checked the boot, side pockets and under floor areas?

Are all your jack/tools secure and padded?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've only got a couple of things in the boot and they are pretty well secured with the strap in the back. All pockets empty including ones in the back. Can't see anything out of place at all.

I had the compressor out fairly recently but it's quite tight in there and the cover is on properly.

I bet this is going to turn out to be something really obvious but I can't see for the life of me where it's coming from.

Edit: the jack tools.. hmm haven't checked that one. I'll have a rummage around there tomorrow.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had the same on mine when I bought it and it was the bracket that the rear seat back locks onto when you put it back in position, it is coated in plastic when new but this wears away and causes a rattle, the simple fix is to bind some insulating tape around it.
You can tell if this is your problem by driving round with the seat backs dropped down if the noise goes then do the fix.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Get someone else to drive then you can get a better idea of where it's coming from, I did this and found my rattle was coming from where the rear seat meets the plastic trim

·
Enjoying life
8,503 Posts
It's the passenger seat upright rattling.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG! It was the back seat. Chunk of electrical tape and rattle free!

Had a friend sit in the back seat and was able to pinpoint it. Checked by here and somebody suggested exactly then same.

Thanks all - now to concentrate on fixing the glove box rattle ��

1 - 12 of 12 Posts