2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a nightmare trying to change front discs/pads on my 2008 FN2. Have removed the caliper, carrier, the two retaining screws, bashed the disc with a hammer to loosen it. It now slides back and forth about 5mm on the hub but seems the end bit of the hub is too large to fit through the central hole on the old disc!

After much swearing I called Bexleyheath Honda, even their technician reckoned the disc should come straight off. (Very good of them to talk to me though)

Am resolved to a trip to the dealers to fit the new parts... unless anyone can tell me what i'm doing wrong?! Surely you don't remove the wheel bearings to get the disc off?!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
try wire brushing down the central spigot to remove ny crud and there is also 2 x 8mm holes in the disc face which you can thread bolts into and " push" the disc off the hub without using a hammer

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah spotted those two holes, didn't think to thread bolts into them... May take it all apart again and try. Weirdly i did wire brush around it and spent a while moving the disc around but the stubborn thing would not come off completely.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I had the exact same problem two weeks ago. My discs were shot so resulted to a bit or brute force it it got the job done. Noticed the other holes as well and will know for next time to use some bolts to assist the process!!

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it in the end. They were so corroded on the hub side that even the 8mm bolt method cause the disc to crack on one side! Good old rubber mallet did the trick after about half hour of hammering. The other side wasn't so bad, though i did manage to round-off one of the retaining screws and had to drill it out. All together took me about 4 hours to do the job!

Thanks for the advice about the bolts though, helped a lot!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Glad you got sorted mate, when I swapped my front discs something similar happened, rubber mallet was no good though and had to resort to something much more metallic :)

lots of copper grease on the inside face of the discs will help next time:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.