2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

I've read lots of threads regarding Diesel vs Petrol and as it stands I've changed back to Petrol. Don't fancy having to pay out for Clutch in the 2.2D plus I kind of missing having a petrol. Induction kit and exhaust mainly :eek:

The Type R is out of the question to much per year to run (saving for a house deposit too) so its between the 1.8 Petrol and 2.2D. 3 door and colour coded is a must :)

My budget is about £7500 but hoping to pay the insurance in full with this budget. Any left over then a few Mods to start with.

Does the below look reasonable for my yearly costs? Is there anything else to consider on both?

(fuel cost was worked out based on today's prices at Morrisons)

Here is the two cars I used as an example.

Petrol - Honda Civic 1.8i-VTEC Type S GT 3dr

Diesel- Honda Civic 2.2 i-CTDi Type S 3dr

Cheers
R

·
mmmm bacon
638 Posts
I would consider how accurate the mpg figures are, I have never hit 48mpg with normal driving, which usually return 43mpg tops. Can't speak for the 1.8 however, perhaps get some opinions from other owners on the facts and figures you have already got to get a comparison.

Also, my clutch started slipping at about 95,000. Its beginning to get annoying and does it regularly when I plant my foot, but it's an excuse to get an uprated clutch so I can get it remapped.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I've no problem going over 50 mpg at '70' --- in mine ...
42 - 43 around town this last Winter.

Diesel takes a while to warm up - discussed in another thread.
I used to live <2 miles from work. Never warmed up before I arrived. Used to average 33 mpg.

·
Premium Member
5,191 Posts
How many miles are you doing a year and what type of driving?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles are you doing a year and what type of driving?
Hello, I would do approx 15k maximum but could be as low as 12500.
Work trip is half motorway and half 60 roads with a few roundabouts.
2 trips to football practice is all motorway and the trips to my gf's are all motorway except for the last 2 mile.

Currently got a diesel good on fuel but only a 1.4 so want a little umph for my next car.

Cheers
R

·
Registered
274 Posts
2 trips to football practice is all motorway and the trips to my gf's are all motorway except for the last 2 mile.

Currently got a diesel good on fuel but only a 1.4 so want a little umph for my next car.

Cheers
R
Id say your borderline for both cars. I doubt there would be much difference in yearly cost between the two.

The diesel would cost more to look after, service and run plus they have known clutch problems.

The petrol would be less mpg but on a run they are very good. I have a 1.8 and around town I get 35mpg. When hitting the motorway on a run it go's up to 40mpg+. On a recent run to Liverpool from Leeds I got 47mpg. Pretty good for a 1.8 petrol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I get low 40's for combined driving in my 1.8. I test drove both the petrol and diesel but liked the drive of the petrol better as the diesel felt nose heavy.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I feel the "clutch problems" on the 2.2 are a little misunderstood.

The clutch problems only really happen when you remap the car and increase the power figures.

On stock power, the Honda clutches are quite reliable and many members will claim getting good mileage out of them.

Of course, there are a few that have had them replaced frequently, but they do seem to be the minority.

Also, my MPG sits around 40 in my 2.2. But i don't ever drive it with fuel efficiency in mind, just enjoyment.

Also, it's worth checking out the Wiki and seeing what service each car you're looking at would be coming up to. The next service could be a £200 one or a £500, and if they are close, you'd have to factor in those costs. With the mileage you're doing, you'd need a service once a year, so compare the rough prices from the wiki.

And if you want to buy the car colour coded, you're going to need an 09+ plate, unless you modify it later (at which case you're looking at £800+ second hand. Double at least for new parts).

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
All three of my completely un molested ctdi engines suffer from a slipping clutch and have done from early to mid 30k miles so not sure that this situation is quite the minority. 45 mpg over 10 k summer and winter very varied miles is what my mpg currently sits at, you should be able to manage that easily with the driving you describe. If you buy a ctdi of any age be prepared for clutch issues...............

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
I'm new to the mk8/9 civic and opted for petrol as my milage to work is too short to warrant a diesel. Guys at work have had both but do the miles and have no problems with either car. The clutch and fuel usage depends on your driving style. If your a traffic light racer be prepared to pay for component wear and high mpg. My clutch on my last two cars lasted over 130000 miles but then I have a bike to race with, 0-60 in 3.8 secs does it for me.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts

Cheers
R

How longs are these journeys? If more then 10 miles then the diesel starts making more sense (to me anyway).
My commute journey is min 12.3 miles each way (depends if I need to drop my daughter off at my mums that day).
It is a hilly, country route with 3 villages along the way with 1 having slight congestion.
I don't hang around, country routes seem to attract intercity buses, vans, lorries and Honda Jazz drivers which means overtaking is a must.
My MPG is 45.07 over 12510 miles (real MPG). FYI, I have an 06 model which uses the weakest clutch version, never been changed and not slipping (although my DMF is a *little* juddery).
I would imagine with a petrol model I would get 38mpg over the same journey/driving habit. Benefit of the diesel is that you can remap and have mighty power with great economy.

I wouldn't buy the 1.8 with a vision of then upgrading it (no offence 1.8 owners!:worms:) If that is what you want then buy a CTR or the Derv and remap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Current car is 0-60 in 13.5 so either car would satisfy me speed wise. Then concentrate on looks. Not that fussed about chasing loads of speed.

Looks like a petrol then on an 09 upwards :)

Well I'm happy my mind is made up Roll on Sept. Tempted to stock a few little Mods ready for my car.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Current car is 0-60 in 13.5 so either car would satisfy me speed wise. Then concentrate on looks. Not that fussed about chasing loads of speed.

Looks like a petrol then on an 09 upwards :)

Well I'm happy my mind is made up Roll on Sept. Tempted to stock a few little Mods ready for my car.
It's worth keeping an eye on the for sale section and grabbing a bargain or 2 when they appear!

Whichever engine you go for, I'm sure you'll love it. The civic is a nice car to be in and fun to drive when you're in that mood!

·
Premium Member
5,191 Posts
I feel the "clutch problems" on the 2.2 are a little misunderstood.

The clutch problems only really happen when you remap the car and increase the power figures.

On stock power, the Honda clutches are quite reliable and many members will claim getting good mileage out of them.

The ones fitted to the 2.2 are made of chocolate. Honda changed mine at 76k because it was faulty. Some 325s hold, its a lottery. DMFs aren't much better.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
The ones fitted to the 2.2 are made of chocolate. Honda changed mine at 76k because it was faulty. Some 325s hold, its a lottery. DMFs aren't much better.
Mine is at 74k. original clutch. no issues at all. Friends 08 type S is at 90k. original clutch. Stage 1 celtic since ~35k. (i realise he will be in the minority with that...)

At stock power, i'd expect the clutch to last a good long while. Although it's one of those things you should always be able to replace if it shows signs of going, but luckily it's usually something that goes a little bit, giving you fair warning it's going to need replacing soon.

·
Premium Member
5,191 Posts
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/21589-clutch-failure-register-here.html

Check out this thread above, the clutches are a lottery even on the standard map. Just because yours and a mates is fine doesn't give the full picture. I certainly wouldn't want to run a remap with one. There's hundreds of threads on here about the dreaded clutch slip on the 2.2 too and you're faced with a BIG bill to put it right :worms:

Mine is at 74k. original clutch. no issues at all. Friends 08 type S is at 90k. original clutch. Stage 1 celtic since ~35k. (i realise he will be in the minority with that...)

At stock power, i'd expect the clutch to last a good long while. Although it's one of those things you should always be able to replace if it shows signs of going, but luckily it's usually something that goes a little bit, giving you fair warning it's going to need replacing soon.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Clutch longevity and mpg

My 2.2cdti has 144,000 miles on the clock on the original clutch with no slippage. I get 50-54mpg combined urban/motorway with a 20/80 split. My running costs per mile including t&t, insurance, servicing, upgrades, fuel is 33-36p/mile.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I have a 1.8, had it a month now and gone from a 1.3 cdti corsa... Best effing decision I've ever made!!!!!!! :) It may not be as powerful as a CTR or as torque-y as a Derv but when you fancy wasting petrol for the fun of it, I cant help but smile ? Infact, I just love getting into that car, turning the ignition on and watching the dash come to life. Even the missus loves it and she hated the fact that we "had" to look for a new car ?

Late to the show as usual!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/21589-clutch-failure-register-here.html

Check out this thread above, the clutches are a lottery even on the standard map. Just because yours and a mates is fine doesn't give the full picture. I certainly wouldn't want to run a remap with one. There's hundreds of threads on here about the dreaded clutch slip on the 2.2 too and you're faced with a BIG bill to put it right :worms:
I wasn't saying every one is rock solid. Some will go, but some won't. You posted your personal experience with them, so I was just posting mine (and for what it's worth, a close friend who also owns a 2.2).

1 - 20 of 49 Posts