2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a vague rumour about a car battery charger that actually works through the cig lighter. So instead of opening your bonnet and alligatoring the battery's poles, you neatly insert a plug in the cigaretter lighter and the charger charges the battery through that. Do such things actually exist?

It would be pretty handy over here in winter, because if you don't drive for a while and your battery runs empty, it may be ruined if it gets frozen. A charger plugged into the plug in the parking place would help to avoid this problem. It would also be neat if it had an adapter that can take power from the interior heater socket of the car.

It would have been especially neat if I had had this gadget when I had my Twingo. It had a nasty tendency to exhaust its battery if you didn't drive for three weeks (or only made occasional short trips).

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
If this was to work (I'd kind of doubt it as all there needs to be is one capacitor and it wouldn't work) then you'd definitely need the key in the ignition as the cig lighter is not enabled when the key is out; leaving your key in the ignition isn't great for parking up. (and takes even more power!)

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I see.. so it's actually not technically feasible, and can only be used to jump start a dead battery. Thanks for your points.

Well then... Defa sells battery chargers that fit under the bonnet. Some of them have built-in timers (which would be redundant and get complicated with Finnish parking site electric plugs, as they already have timers in them). Well, I'll just ask my dealer if it's feasible to have one installed. I suppose I've become a bit paranoid after the few nasty dead battery experiences I've had with my Twingo.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it may be technically feasible, if you buy a cigar lighter socket (extension lead or 2-way adaptor), and wire it to your battery charger. Then use this gadget. The problem is the fact you'd need to turn the ignition on, so it's not really on. Some cars (BMW for instance) have the lighter socket always live, but sadly ours don't

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I think it may be technically feasible, if you buy a cigar lighter socket (extension lead or 2-way adaptor), and wire it to your battery charger. Then use this gadget. The problem is the fact you'd need to turn the ignition on, so it's not really on. Some cars (BMW for instance) have the lighter socket always live, but sadly ours don't
My Pug 206 had a fuse you could change position to make it either live on ignition or always live.

I wish the one in the boot was always live.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about solar powered trickle chargers?
Yeah, those looked pretty cool! But I since a) at home my car is parked in a garage (with roof on top) and b) there isn't that much sunlight in Finland in winter, when the battery problems are most common, I concluded a solar cell wouldn't help me much, I'm afraid. It's a cool idea though, and I'd definitely get one if I lived in a sunnier country.

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Yeah, those looked pretty cool! But I since a) at home my car is parked in a garage (with roof on top) and b) there isn't that much sunlight in Finland in winter, when the battery problems are most common, I concluded a solar cell wouldn't help me much, I'm afraid. It's a cool idea though, and I'd definitely get one if I lived in a sunnier country.
Problem is, if you lived in a sunnier country you probably wouldn't need one [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Alot of cars in the colder parts of Canada have a plug socket sticking out of the front grill so you can plug in to your parking space at home and sometimes in open public areas. Shame about the solid front section, maybe you can get this sort of thing fitted under the front spoiler?!?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alot of cars in the colder parts of Canada have a plug socket sticking out of the front grill so you can plug in to your parking space at home and sometimes in open public areas. Shame about the solid front section, maybe you can get this sort of thing fitted under the front spoiler?!?
I already have a socket right next to the license plate, for the engine block and interior heater. I just forgot about the battery charger. So I thought that charging the battery through the lighter would be a cheap, easy solution, something I can just purchase in a shop instead of having to take the car to the dealer to have one installed.

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
Easiest way to ensure your battery doesn't discharge on it's own would be to disconnect it.
If you know you're not going to be driving for weeks, that is. :)

I'm sure you will disagree but I would also argue that your Twingo was more prone to electrical faults anyway... I wouldn't worry about your Civic's battery going flat in a few weeks, even in cold weather. Just ask these guys about the general standards of French cars. :wink:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah... French cars are notorious for electric problems. So I shouldn't worry about the Honda, really. Good point. :)

Anyway, wouldn't disconnecting my battery erase the car's computer (like the odometer and my satnav Favorite Places, etc)?

·
Galaxy class starship
1,053 Posts
The odometer will defo not be reset. Trip A and B probalby would. Not sure about the sat-nav though. Depends on what kind of memory it uses. Computer hard drives don't become blank when you disconnect the power. :wink:

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
The odometer will defo not be reset. Trip A and B probalby would. Not sure about the sat-nav though. Depends on what kind of memory it uses. Computer hard drives don't become blank when you disconnect the power. :wink:
Sat-nav appears to load the operating system each time the car is started, hence the Honda logo and disclaimer when the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If this was to work (I'd kind of doubt it as all there needs to be is one capacitor and it wouldn't work) then you'd definitely need the key in the ignition as the cig lighter is not enabled when the key is out; leaving your key in the ignition isn't great for parking up. (and takes even more power!)
hello, noob here.

Is that right?? can it be overridden? I like to charge things overnight (hidden away) and that would get annoying.

ta

joe

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sat-nav appears to load the operating system each time the car is started, hence the Honda logo and disclaimer when the ignition is turned on.
Which, I might add, takes way too long IMO. Though it would be much less of a problem if the reverse camera worked immediately. Now if I'm in a tricky parking place and need the camera, I have to sit and wait 'till the system starts.

Oddly enough, if you just turn on the power, the system starts booting, but when you start the engine, the system starts booting again. In worst case this can mean twice the wait. Or am I just seeing things?

·
12th June 2006 1.8EX
1,119 Posts
Which, I might add, takes way too long IMO. Though it would be much less of a problem if the reverse camera worked immediately. Now if I'm in a tricky parking place and need the camera, I have to sit and wait 'till the system starts.

Oddly enough, if you just turn on the power, the system starts booting, but when you start the engine, the system starts booting again. In worst case this can mean twice the wait. Or am I just seeing things?

True - annoys the hell out of me as well :( Would think that it is probably caused by the battery voltage dropping slightly when the starter is engaged.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Off topic, but the reboot annoys me too- Maybe a capacitor wired into the circuit could fix that (yeah, like I know what the hell I'm talking about...:( )- Maybe Stef could help us out on this one? Stef, ben je daar, kerel?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Off topic, but the reboot annoys me too- Maybe a capacitor wired into the circuit could fix that (yeah, like I know what the hell I'm talking about...:( )- Maybe Stef could help us out on this one? Stef, ben je daar, kerel?
You know, maybe this topic is worth its own thread. I'll start one now in the "Bugs, Faults & Irritations" section. Here's the thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts