2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,I know another battery question,what are the specs for the original oem battery fitted to the fn2 type r particularly interested in the cca rating has I want to go higher has my battery is now 5 years old and noticed it's took 3 or 4 clicks on push button start on a cold morning to start. I have had a look on here and some of you recommend the bosch s4 (021) and the yuasa 053 are there any battery out there with a higher cca? Maybe over 400.:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Hi buddy

Can't answer the cca question but a free bump and another opinion I guess. I reckon 5yrs on an OEM battery is good so is it worth going higher? I'd definitely buy OEM again. IMO the price/warranty/quality combination can't really be beaten.
Obviously I have the 2.2 diesel so....and I don't know....but can you fit this battery to yours as it must have a higher rating? May need a different clamp but the size is probably similar. Just a thought. I'm sure someone will be along to shoot my lack of knowledge down soon lol!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been told to go for a higher (cca) cold crank amperage, I've checked with my local garage mechanic and it won't be a problem.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check this link for information on everything you're asking about here.

Btw 3 or 4 quick cranks of the engine is quite normal for a cold start. With the new OEM battery installed my car starts within a second of pressing the button every time but definitely still cranks at least 2-3 times before firing up.

Don't waste your money if you don't need to. The important thing is that the cranks are fast and strong, not laboured which would indicate a weak battery.

You could go to Halfords and get a free battery check to determine the state of your current battery. Diesel batteries have different specifications with much higher CCA to start the diesel lump and they are bigger in size.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a update on the battery,picked a new one up from Cox's honda in Blackpool today for £60,
Part no-31500-ST3-111-HE it's rated at 48ah and the cca is 420a,with the original battery 5 year old now and the mornings/nights getting possibly colder I thought it was time to give the old girl a new heart to get her started,and to stop the missus having a go at me when it won't fire up going to and from work. :) I did think about the bosch and yuasa battery's that some had recommended on here but they did not have a high cca rating.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Just a update on the battery,picked a new one up from Cox's honda in Blackpool today for £60,
Part no-31500-ST3-111-HE it's rated at 48ah and the cca is 420a,with the original battery 5 year old now and the mornings/nights getting possibly colder I thought it was time to give the old girl a new heart to get her started,and to stop the missus having a go at me when it won't fire up going to and from work. :) I did think about the bosch and yuasa battery's that some had recommended on here but they did not have a high cca rating.

i thought the OEM Honda one was a Yuasa...?

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be,but I didn't go for a yuasa branded battery.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
yeh think they are the same thing (according to panache's findings) as i've been looking at getting a new battery today as well so this thread and the one liked to above came in handy :)

Just an update for everyone here.

I've purchased and installed a Yuasa OEM replacement battery for the 1.8 petrol engine from CoxMotorParts and can confirm that these new Yuasa batteries have 48Ah/420 CCA.

These stats are better than any other replacement battery currently available on the market for 8th Gen petrol engine Civics so it makes sense to purchase one of these instead of an aftermarket alternative, especially with a 20% discount from Cox.

For comparison the popular Bosch S4 021 has 45Ah/300 CCA so it's a significant difference.

From Wikipedia: "Cold cranking amperes (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (−18 °C). The rating is defined as the current a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures. This is the most widely used cranking measurement for comparison purposes."

So basically the CCA rating of a battery indicates how strongly it can crank when starting an engine in cold temperatures. As such, higher CCA batteries provide improved cold starting capacity.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for checking,fitted new battery and it's a lot better on start up.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts
On the subject of Batteries is it still considered ok to Vaseline the terminals or would Copper Grease be better ?.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah according to the guy I spoke to on the phone from CoxMotorParts the OEM batteries are now Yuasa.

Yuasa now sponsor Honda Racing in BTCC so it makes sense that they would also now supply so-called OEM batteries for Honda cars.

What doesn't make much sense is that the "new" OEM Yuasa batteries for petrol Civics have slightly better stats than the Yuasa 053 which has been available for quite some time now.

It's strange that they didn't just agree to supply Yuasa 053's and instead developed a new battery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Battery is flat as a pancake... are there any special procedures that need to be done to remove for a charge up?

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,879 Posts
Disconnect the negative (-) one first, then the positive (+) one last. When re-fitting, connect the positive first and negative last. This procedure minimises the risk of shorting a terminal to the car body with the spanner!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts