2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice appreciated.
Morning folks. Our Crv's roof has been significantly damaged by falling storm debris from the roof of an apartment block where we are renting a flat whilst we renovate our own home.
I'm assuming that my car insurance company needs to know, we are of course contacting the apartment management company, I've no idea if it's likely that their insurance will cover the damage. Any how I'm glad that my 6 week old daughter was not sleeping in her pram amongst the debris field and any input rom you lot would be great. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
It's likely your car insurance won't cover it, but the insurance of the building owners should. Keep on at them until they agree to cover the full cost of repair, as it is their responsibility.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,676 Posts
Right, your car insurers WILL cover it if you are fully comprehensive. The Buildings insurers will NOT cover it unless you can prove the owner of the building was negligent.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Really? I'm surprised. I would have thought that the "fault" in this situation would be on the part of the building owner. I guess you're right about having to prove negligence, mind you.

I imagine if the OP were to claim on his car insurance he'd have his NCB affected, and it would go down as an "incident" on his insurance record, so would it not be better to pursue the building owners first?

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Car insurance should cover for storm damage.

After high winds etc there is always a flood of cars in my place needing roof skins, bonnets, windows etc due to falling debris.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,319 Posts
Really? I'm surprised. I would have thought that the "fault" in this situation would be on the part of the building owner. I guess you're right about having to prove negligence, mind you.

I imagine if the OP were to claim on his car insurance he'd have his NCB affected, and it would go down as an "incident" on his insurance record, so would it not be better to pursue the building owners first?
Comes under Force Majur, act of God etc. No one at fault but fully comp would cover it.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
6,223 Posts

"Thinking", "guessing" and "imagining" are NOT the same as knowing.

Mr. Wistow is an insurance assessor.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Fair point. I still reckon there's a case for finding the building owners at fault though, so as not to affect your own insurance.

·
Cleaning Moderator
12,676 Posts

This is the thing, the owner of the building is not at fault. How could the owner forsee what was going to happen. The only way they could be held responsible is for example if the roof was in a poor condition AND the owner was aware of this and they have not done anything about it.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much folks, I'll get on to my insurers now, the vehicle is fully comp here's hoping I don't get too heavily penalised for something of absolutely no fault of my own.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is your NCD protected, Tristan ?
It is yea, another potential issue has just occurred to me. The address on the insurance policy is my home address- the property undergoing renovation- and the damage has occurred at the rented apartment, these 2 property's are about a minutes walk apart.

·
Administrator
15,516 Posts
I'm sure Shaun will confirm, but it's the vehicle that's insured, not the address.

It could quite easily of happened elsewhere, shops, visiting relatives, public car park...
Agree with you Sir Messiah, big bird Wistow will confirm if he can put his coffee down

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers all, could someone tell me what the part of the car is called which forms the structural member above the doors, ie the metal structure between the door and the panoramic roof? Just so as I don't sound completely dense when reporting this:rolleyes:

·
more torque than the mrs
6,750 Posts
when the roof tiles hit my astra sri in 2011 because of high winds my private landlord at the time said it was an act of god and to claim off my car insurance, after turning green then laughed at him i said no way i'd be doing that i need your building insurance its your fault you know the roof needs replacing, landlord came to me the same night and said axa are aware of it and are waiting for my call next day i get in touch give them the reference number explain what as happened to which they then said if the roof would of been in a sound state it would of been classed as an act of god and you would of had to use your car insurance but because the landlord knew the roof needed replacing it would be classed as neglect on his part and i would be able to claim, in the end the landlord didn't want it to go through his insurance and said to deduct the damage costs from the monthly rent.. hope you get your's sorted mate

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
when the roof tiles hit my astra sri in 2011 because of high winds my private landlord at the time said it was an act of god and to claim off my car insurance, after turning green then laughed at him i said no way i'd be doing that i need your building insurance its your fault you know the roof needs replacing, landlord came to me the same night and said axa are aware of it and are waiting for my call next day i get in touch give them the reference number explain what as happened to which they then said if the roof would of been in a sound state it would of been classed as an act of god and you would of had to use your car insurance but because the landlord knew the roof needed replacing it would be classed as neglect on his part and i would be able to claim, in the end the landlord didn't want it to go through his insurance and said to deduct the damage costs from the monthly rent.. hope you get your's sorted mate
We have reported it to the building insurers and I am commissioning an independent roofer to compile a report as to the roof condition, more so as to ensure that no more material comes off and injures somebody in the next round of weather, but also to be used in any potential claim against the building insurers. At least I will have taken all reasonable measures to protect myself. It should be said that my landlord, a local estate agent have been hopeless at addressing what apart from the car damage is potentially a safety issue.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts