2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2007 1,8 civic hb.
Today I realised that my car doesn't stop when I left it engaged to reverse gear on hill without handbrake. It moves down a bit ( I think one stroke long ) then stops then move a bit more. What may cause to this and is it important for my cars health.

·
4,773 Posts
What may cause to this
Assuming that the car is a manual, it's the fact that you have not applied the handbrake and the drive chain is turning over the engine.
and is it important for my cars health.
That will depend entirely on how far the car rolls down the hill:surprise:
Put the handbrake on when stationary. That's what it is for.:wink3:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I forgot to write it. It is i-sh-i-ft gb. I always use handbrake. Because of that I realised it just now accidentally.
I wrote how far it is. It wasn't rolling continuously.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Can you leave the I shift in a gear whilst parked and off? I'd imagine it is robotic trickery if not :p - Furhtermore, depending on the grade of the hill, it may be the case that your engine can barely hold on compression, and is being turned over (I'm not so sure on a 4 Cylinder engine, the next part is based on my knowledge of a single cylinder steam traction engine :p ) - The stopping and restarting is a result of piston strokes. At the bottom of the stroke, the piston is easy to move, but as you reach the top of the stroke, and you are working harder to compress, it will be harder - slowing the car, or traction engine ( :laugh: ) - Once past the top of the stroke, compression is released, causing the piston to move back to the bottom of the stroke of its own accord - the movement - before becoming harder to compress once again.

Hopefully the rambling makes some sense :D

TL;DR: The car is most likely perfectly fine. It's either auotmatic wizardry, or a steep hill.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Can you leave the I shift in a gear whilst parked and off? I'd imagine it is robotic trickery if not :p - Furhtermore, depending on the grade of the hill, it may be the case that your engine can barely hold on compression, and is being turned over (I'm not so sure on a 4 Cylinder engine, the next part is based on my knowledge of a single cylinder steam traction engine :p ) - The stopping and restarting is a result of piston strokes. At the bottom of the stroke, the piston is easy to move, but as you reach the top of the stroke, and you are working harder to compress, it will be harder - slowing the car, or traction engine ( :laugh: ) - Once past the top of the stroke, compression is released, causing the piston to move back to the bottom of the stroke of its own accord - the movement - before becoming harder to compress once again.

Hopefully the rambling makes some sense :D

TL;DR: The car is most likely perfectly fine. It's either auotmatic wizardry, or a steep hill.

I thought the iShift transmission is a CVT ( Constant Variable Transmission ) which has no actual gears ( it’s a spring loaded flywheel with expanding shoes that move a belt or chain that spins the final drive cogs - think of a snowmobile transmission ). No gears means no lockup of the drivetrain when the engine is not running. You must use the park brake to hold the car when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
4,773 Posts
But OP says that the car is behaving the same way as a manual does when in gear, on a hill with the handbrake off. i.e. it rolls slowly in jerks as the engine turns over.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
IShift is a robotised manual with a torque converter for smoothness:- It has 5 (Or 6?) Fixed gear ratios and a mechanically actuated clutch.

In theory, it could be left in gear whilst parked, but I'm not sure if this is something the software would allow.

They're an interesting gearbox - You can feel the car actuating the clutch (Went for a quick ride around with lightningslow) - If held on the handbrake, and used with slight throttle, the car can be felt to hold the clutch on the biting point etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read for the first time that there is torq converter with i-shift gb. Maybe it applied to this gb later versions. But mine is one of first ones. i-shift gb works with energy directly from battary. So if the key is on then you can choose first two gears and reverse gear. It allows to left it engaged.

·
Registered
218 Posts
But OP says that the car is behaving the same way as a manual does when in gear, on a hill with the handbrake off. i.e. it rolls slowly in jerks as the engine turns over.

I guess I am wrong then. My error won’t be repeated.

·
4,773 Posts
I'm not saying that you are wrong Mikey, just that OP's symptoms seemed to fit nicely with what happens on a manual box left in gear on a hill with handbrake off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not saying that you are wrong Mikey, just that OP's symptoms seemed to fit nicely with what happens on a manual box left in gear on a hill with handbrake off.

Odd though. My FA5 will sit on a hill, in gear,engine off and won’t move....is it because I have a K20 up front and not a diesel?

·
Registered
112 Posts
An iShift Civic is exactly the same as a manual Civic but with electronic actuators for the clutch and gearshift. There are no torque converters, belts or any other weirdness. If you leave it in gear when you turn the ignition off it will remain in gear as electrical power is disconnected from the actuators. This applies whether the vehicle is stationary or in motion.

To the OP: How steep is the hill?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts