2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I mentioned some of this story in a couple of threads I feel it deserves it's own thread for the hassle/annoyance it has now caused me and will hopefully serve useful to anyone reading this who are maybe as innocent as myself in calling their insurance company with an "enquiry"...

I'm so annoyed as my car insurance renewal is due 23 Feb 2007 and I've just discovered tonight (21 Feb 2007) that my existing insurer (Admiral) has screwed me over big time....

To cut a long story short around 20 Dec 2006 just as I was walking out the house towards my car, 2 cars from both directions slid on the ice and somehow missed my car - or so I thought. I checked what I could as I walked around the rear of it and drove to work.
Once I got to work I noticed a tiny slither of paint missing on my rear offside bumper. This car that I saw stop "close" to mine must have literally touched my bumper upon stopping. I heard nothing and the driver I believe innocently didn't know she'd touched my bumper and hence proceeded to drive off unaware of this tiny damage.

I called Admiral for advice as I wasn't sure what to do when I had no details of the other party involved etc... I explained I didn't wish to make a claim or anything yet as I was going to visit my dealership to let them look at it first.
This damage was so small that the dealership kindly offered to touch it up while it was in for some warranty work that was needed anyway. (Thanks to deVries Stockton)

That was the last of it, or so I thought!!!

My insurance renewal comes through last week for 382.00 pounds!!! So I do the usual trick of going to their website, pretending to be a NEW customer and get quoted 272.00???!!!
I call them up tonight to ask why they are charging me over 100 pounds more for being a loyal customer only to be told that this online quote I've just done I did NOT specify that I had any previous accidents/claims in the last 3 years!!!

I never dreamt that my simple enquiry on the morning of this event would lead to them basically black-marking me as having an "incident" on their system!!!!!!!!!!

What is worse is that I then tried Elephant.co.uk who I knew from earlier in the week were my best alternative quote, I filled it all out, got quoted 252.00 which was great, I didn't specify that I'd had any previous accidents/claims/convictions etc... I call them up with the reference number and I'm all ready to give this guy my creditcard number after checking all my details when all of a sudden he tells me that it's been flagged up from some "central system" about an incident back in December 2006 which I failed to mention...

This then puts the premium up even more as I'm considered to have not disclosed vital information, but I honestly never thought that going to another insurer I would need to mention such a silly little incident just because I called my current insurer to enquire prior to the garage just doing a warranty repair for me.

So now I'm faced with revisiting all these websites and having to specify that I've had a "previous accident/claim" and the majority of these companies think I'm some sort of criminal and whack the prices right up!!!

I find this absolutely disgraceful, that I almost have some sort of criminal record against my name for any quotes I now apply for... something that was not my fault, I never made or intended to make a claim I purely called them the day of the incident for some advice yet I am now getting screwed for something somebody else did to my car, and even they don't know they damaged it

I've spoken with the Claims Manager at Admiral this morning and he was a complete "Mr.Jobsworth", doesn't matter how small or whether it was just an enquiry it is still an "incident" - I asked how he would feel if he found a scratch on his car in the carpark today and called for some advice to find his prices skyrocket, he declined to answer my question...

I now need to take an official channel of complaint against Admiral as I completely dispute what they've done to me.

So, as I have learned the hard way.... NEVER phone your insurance company about anything unless you are definitely making a claim!!!

Still bemused by all of this...

Fedorov.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...a colleague of mine asked his lawyer friend about this and this was the response...

Insurers are c*nts of the very very highest order. It's not until you are on the receiving end of something like this that you realise what a very highly organised bunch of highway bandits they are, and not only that, they've devised a system where they can all join in and bum rape you together.

I know this is of no use whatsoever, but firstly he shouldn't have called to ask about the incident, cos yes they log everything. Clearly he won't make the mistake again.

Technically, this is an incident for the purposes of the question they ask, in the same way as Jen writing our car off was an incident. We made no claim against the insurer (because we were 3rd party) and amazingly the lorry she crashed into was unscathed (or at least the fella driving it took pity on Jen). Your mate's non-disclosure is exactly that. Yes, yes, they are c*nts.

To make matters worse, the central database will show this to every insurer who participates in the scheme. If he doesn't disclose it to another insurer, the very worst case scenario is that he has an accident and they refuse to pay out because of the non-disclosure. This probably wouldn't happen, but they are total c*nts so you can't rule it out.

On the bright side, unless he has done some very good searching around, he can probably get his insurance cheaper elsewhere, even with the disclosure.

There's a great website at www.confused.com where you enter your details once (including disclosing the "incident", but where you can log that there was no claim made, no losses sustained) and they will come back with loads of quotes for you without any hassle. Tell him to check it out, and then hopefully he will get a better quote and he can go back to these bell ends and tell them they can screw their policy up in a nice jagged ball and shove it painfully up their a*ses.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Outragous! Just because some idiot hits your stationary car, you are considered a higher risk, even though it did not cost ANY insurance company ANY money at all!

I'm not sure what you can do, but I would take this further!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Fedorov

The whole insurance system in this country is a con. My view now is the least amount of money I can pay the better. With the very high excesses that are now mandatory your not going to receive much initial compensation when an accident happens. As far as I am concerned I am only participating because it is law. Sooner or later the government will have to regulate the industry because people are being ripped off left, right and centre, especially if you are young.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
If you are going to try getting a load of quotes again, I can thoroughly recommend www.confused.com as well.

You only have to enter all your details once with them and then they send them on to 96% (their figures) of online insurers. Saved myself a bundle...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Confused.com is the first place I went back to and if you amend it to say that you HAVE had an "accident" in the last 5 years it tries to ask you for a date, amount claimed and you have to choose from a list of what accident/outcome.
Their site had no option for me to say "unknown 3rd party - no claim made" like other sites do so I could not proceed to get any quotes from this site no more :(

·
Registered
421 Posts
i used to work in insurance and im sure that if you didnt make a claim then there is nothing that they can do, was a while ago now though so please dont quote me on it. maybe a call to trading standards dept may be in order?

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
i used to work in insurance and im sure that if you didnt make a claim then there is nothing that they can do, was a while ago now though so please dont quote me on it. maybe a call to trading standards dept may be in order?

I agree I would call trading standards, you did not make a claim you only called them for advice that is an absolute joke.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, I've written a letter and am sending it to the Chief Executive of Admiral Insurance by special delivery tomorrow, I've noted on the top of the letter that I have sent copies to BBC Watchdog, FSA, and Ombudsman as mentioned above. See what happens...

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,171 Posts
until an accident is settled, both parties are to blame in the insurers eyes. i was once hit while my car was parked, and it took ages to sort out. got there in the end.

if the other party is at fault, but does not report the accident to his insurers, then no claim can be settled, and he gets awy with it, total madness.

only tell the insurance if you intend to make a claim, then they cannot hold anything against you.

my renewal was £537 with N.U, been loyal for over 5 years, shoped around and got it for £400 via direct line.

did you know, 30% of our premiums is to cover uninsured drivers if they have an accident?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Aargh! Insurance companies are one of my pet hates. My previous insurer, Zurich, had obviously been stacking my premiums for a while, without me really noticing (lots of more important things going on in my life at the time). Changing over to the Civic prompted me to shop around. Zurich were charging me over £600 a year (including Green Flag rescue & recovery) and that was with 7 years guaranteed NCB & onlya cracked windscreen replacement a couple of years previously. I changed over to More Than & reduced my premium to around £300 a year, with the free breakdown cover from Honda of course. My wife did the same & also saved a similar amount.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi Doctor

I've had the same experience with Zurich. They tried to charge me £650. I the tried Direct Line who quoted me £450. Then someone said try Elephant.com and had a quote for £350. So I am now with Elephant.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Whoa that's bad. Is it always working like this in the UK?
Cause I had a similar problem in France, once and it didn't raise an issue...

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
I confirm what Aoshi is tellong. here in France you have an "incident" registered only if you have send a written note (letter, fax, mail) to your insurance Cie. But like ithe Uk even if there is no claim with this accident it is recorded and your premium increased or you bonus is frozen. But your Insurance is here to help you... In fact like in the UK they tend to say "NO" at the first request, then you have to argue with them to obtain what's right... Lot of energy and patience lost for you and a lot of money saved for the Insurance so they can give some good results to the shareholders !

Whe have in France what we call Mutual Insurance. They maybe dont have the cheapest premium but generally they dont argue with you weeks and weeks before giving you the right money back...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi I-noel

In the UK a lot of people shop arround each year because you may be paying over the odds for Insurance. Insurance in the UK has become like Stocks and Shares. The amount you pay virtually changes month by month, so it pays not accept the first quote you get. Also there are bad practices going on for instance, like giving a good first quote to get you to join and then subsequents quotes will gradually increase.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hum nothing like that in France. In fact, the insurrance business is really reglemented and the rates are fixed for the year (they can be revised each year). It is not legally possible for the insurrance to change your base rate (not your bonus mind you) during the year.
Comparing insurrances from year to year is common practice though because here insurrance offer different rates depending on their policy (for example one brand will quote for high rates for powerful cars but low rates for sedan or others). Basically I had to change my insurrance company the day I bought my RX8 because the company I was registered with at the time refused to insure the car :rolleyes:

·
Wine and cooking !
1,526 Posts
Hum nothing like that in France. In fact, the insurrance business is really reglemented and the rates are fixed for the year (they can be revised each year). It is not legally possible for the insurrance to change your base rate (not your bonus mind you) during the year.
Comparing insurrances from year to year is common practice though because here insurrance offer different rates depending on their policy (for example one brand will quote for high rates for powerful cars but low rates for sedan or others). Basically I had to change my insurrance company the day I bought my RX8 because the company I was registered with at the time refused to insure the car :rolleyes:
Same for me, I have to change because the Honda Civic was considered as "Japanese sport car" [smilie=dunceblock.:by my previous Insurance and the one I go for take it as "European Diesel car"... ! So same quotation as a Vw or an Italian car... :rolleyes:

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
I had a major smash, declared it to my insurer although declined to claim. My price and NCB was completely unaffected despite the accident being my fault (I lost it on some black ice and parked it upside down in a hedge).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi I-noel

I had initial problems with my first car because I imported it from France(Gorrias Automobiles) Isques Boulonge. Apparently insurance for imports were treated differently despite the fact that it was UK specification. My current Civic is group 10 and my Meceredes A Class was group 6. So I had to change companies to get a better quote for the Civic.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts