2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help needed

Whilst I have been off work over Christmas I have recently noticed my car has 2 leaks

1-the passenger footwell carpet is saturated with water and when I pull it back the woollen type under carpet is like a sponge full of water, all the way under the seat.

2- yesterday I went to put something under the false floor in the boot and that was wet too so I cleaned that up and after some rain found a puddle on the left hand side (passenger side of the boot) not massive but only took a bit of rain.

The car is 11 years old and would love to run for a few more years but this might push me to get rid of it.

Any idea what the solution might be ? Have read a few different threads but they suggest different problems.

Would drilling a small hole in the boot floor and removing the tow bar plugs be a bad idea?

The leakunder the passenger footwell is my biggest problem as it's a nightmare to dry out.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

Steve

·
Administrator
17,932 Posts
For the footwell leak, check your pollen filter is clean and installed correctly. Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix.

For the rear leak it could be one of the rear seams at the top of the tailgate or one of several other places. Do some research and checks of your own.

Good luck getting them sorted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pollen filter is dirty but is dry, would that still be causing the issue?

That is the one by the centre console behind the flap is that right?

·
Administrator
17,932 Posts
Yes, that's the pollen filter and kinda good that it's dry as that's the most common cause of damp footwell carpets.

Although you now need to figure out where the actual leak is coming from...

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Have a search around here as passenger footwell and boot area is already well covered with possible solutions.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I had this problem or thought I did, carpets are dry now. But I looked into it a bit on the net for others with this issue. This was my findings and check list. I also turned the aircon off for a while which may have helped.

Panel between bonnet and screen.
Windscreen weather seal all around.
Roof seams under roof trim
Wheel arch for holes.
Air vent at bottom of screen
New seal for pollen filter housing
Air con overflow pipe, blow through.
Door mirror fixing plates.
Bottom of door bungs, removeif still in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the pollen filter is dry should I still be checking the drain pipe?

Filter was dirty and loads of bits (seed type things) fell out when removed?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
If the pollen filter is dry should I still be checking the drain pipe?

Filter was dirty and loads of bits (seed type things) fell out when removed?
My filter was also dry, but I could see water in the housing. The pipe can either be accessed from under the car or you can take the center consul out and get something down it that way. Having said that, I'm still unsure as to where the water came from and I checked carpets this morning which are still dry.

As for your filter, I would obviously change it as it sounds as though it's been a while since that was changed.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that just ordered some of them bags trying to dry out the footwell is a nightmare.

Sorry to sound silly, would I need to jack the car up to access the pipe underneath? How would I clean it through? Do I need to use something?

After that plan to remove the roof rail, any recommendations for removing that easy? Should I put some sort of sealant underneath it too?

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Thanks for that just ordered some of them bags trying to dry out the footwell is a nightmare.

Sorry to sound silly, would I need to jack the car up to access the pipe underneath? How would I clean it through? Do I need to use something?

After that plan to remove the roof rail, any recommendations for removing that easy? Should I put some sort of sealant underneath it too?

Thanks in advance

Steve
No worries, to get good access to the pipe yoou will need to get under the car yes. But, you can get access to the top of it if you remove the center consul and detach the pipe from the matrix and push a flexible but rigid wire/pipe down it.
As for roof rail, not got that far myself yet. There are items on the market could seek and seal which is a liquid you poor over the areas you think is leaking and it should hopefully find it's way into the crack/leak point and seal it.

HTH

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

Dried out front foot well and put car back together, front foot well appears dry, small gap at bottom of front windscreen silicones up.

Boot still letting in, not sure if this is black rail on top of car or indicator lights. Going to try top rail first, read on here it is hard to remove, so thinking about putting a clear silicone down both sides to save removing and damaging. Any thoughts?

Also this week rear seat belt on opposite side was soaked, this happened once before about 2 years ago and this is its first reappearance, is this likely y to be the roof rail on that side or the rubber carrying the electrics not pushed into place?

Seem dry now

Any help appreciated

1 - 12 of 12 Posts