2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I am looking for advice on something. I am driving a Honda Civic 1.8 i-VTEC on 50 000 km and since recently when I put on first or sometimes on second gear and start to release the clutch the car shakes. It's like that feeling when you are not giving enough power to the car, but it's not that. It just shakes for some reason.

I spoke with the guys that are doing the repair work for me and they said that they have to open the car and see what's going on, but they suspect either the clutch itself or the flyweel (which is more expensive than the clutch).

Has anyone faced something similar? Would really appreciate your help. Many people from the Bulgarian forum advised to seek your help as that problem looks serious to me now...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same issue from a few months ago. And it's getting worse :(
What I noticed is that it does not shake that much when engine is cold. Still don't have a clue what could it be, and would appreciate very much if someone here can at least give us some ideas/directions :)
Does the 1.8 petrol have a flywheel? :confused:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Is the judder when riding the clutch or normal operation , ie down change gear and up. Do you know double clutch gear change ( used to be used on manual trucks).

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
The wife's 1.8 EX has started doing this. It's on 50,000ish miles. It will be the springs on the friction plate in the clutch getting tired and not absorbing the vibrations of the clutch as it bites.

A new clutch will fix it but it won't do any harm as such unless the springs fail and break free of the clutch friction disc, in which case they could potentially punch a hole in the side of the clutch casing. That's worst case scenario though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@baldbiker I only notice it when changing gears. Not during a normal ride. Actually, in my case I am not sure I can always reproduce it. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. I don't think there is a 100% confirmed way for me to simulate the problem and I am also not sure whether or not it happens only when the engine is cold or not as @banoze says.

@Loxy, so in simple words(as I am not that technical as you guys here) - you say that those vibrations are not absolutely problematic except if that thing that you mentioned happens. However, you are almost completely sure that a new clutch can fix it, correct? I want to make sure I understand you correctly because even if I trust the guys that are doing the repair work of my car, I want to mention them what you guys here recommended and advised :)

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
Google pictures of "clutch friction disc" and see those little springs, they absorb the vibrations when the clutch bites.

I'm 95% sure that is what it will be. The other 5% is because it's an internet diagnosis and I haven't seen your car.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
50000km is nothing for a clutch, it all depends on how it's driven. My wife rides the clutch at lights and it drives me made but my last two cars lasted 130000 miles and 120000 miles with no fault. As said before it could be weak springs, the thrust bearing collapsed and not engaging properly or even a crankshaft oil seal weeping causing slip. My old mk6 civic does this on occasion but still it goes on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it, guys!

Loxy, found it. That sounds reasonable. Cool thing is that the guys that are going to take a look at this and "open" the car are always showing me where the problem is and what is damaged, so I may now be able to see whether or not that's exactly the case(I will confirm once I let them work on this and see the problem).

baldbiker, I completely agree with you. That's my understanding too. However, my car was also driven by a woman. I don't know how she drove it, but I don't exclude the chance she drove it in a wrong way. :)

If anyone has other ideas - let me know.

Btw, a lame question - so that friction disc is actually different thing than a flywheel, right? Those guys in the shop were speculating that this could also be the case.

+1 more thing - to those that are facing that problem too - have you noticed any problems to put in first gear? I have now faced it twice already(that was one of the reasons why they speculated it could be the flywheel)? After some tries, I manage to put in on first, but it can be a bit problematic especially on a traffic light...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the problem is now fixed. It was the clutch indeed. The ferodo disc and its absorbers were completely destroyed - they were moving all over the place with one of them actually being broken (there was a missing part from it). Now everything is OK and fighting with another problem - hearing(from a long time though) some type of liquid going through the whole car when hitting the breaks and stopping. Some folks said that this is coming from the doors, but I did everything to make sure it's not from there and indeed, the sound can still be heard. Strange stuff.

·
Administrator
18,084 Posts
I'm glad the clutch change resolved the judder, result.

Could the sloshing sound be the fuel, in the tank that is located under the front seats?

Have you removed the plastic/rubber plugs at the bottom of the doors?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad the clutch change resolved the judder, result.

Could the sloshing sound be the fuel, in the tank that is located under the front seats?

Have you removed the plastic/rubber plugs at the bottom of the doors?
Yeap. Removed those, but no water inside the doors. However, I am curious about the fuel. How can I somehow check that it's coming from there? I have filled in the tank to its maximum 1 day ago, so it's quite full.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts