2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what the hell...
Just walked outside to find my car outside my neighbours house. it has rolled down from my house and hit a car outside my neighbours. Not much damage, just bumper has a few marks and has popped out of one of the clips. Handbrake was still on when i got in the car so god knows what has happend. I didnt leave it in gear and my road is on a slight gear, but im sure something has gone wrong as im sure i put my handbrake on tight!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
there is a fault on the hand brakes on some cars there is a thread in here somewhere

·
Arfurs right hand man
4,125 Posts
there is a fault on the hand brakes on some cars there is a thread in here somewhere
thats some understatement!!!

There are plenty of threads regarding the known issues with the handbrake and the recall procedure initiated by Honda a year ago.

·
Civinfo's Bulb Supplier
13,427 Posts
Get ready to be treated worse than a serial killer or rapist, the "leaving in gear" officials are on your tail :police:

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
I'm not saying anything, --
Except- If you havn't already, get the recall done under Honda warranty and even then, never just trust the handbrake only. ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
If the handbrake was still on - then this shouldn't be the recall problem (which involved the handbrake suddenly releasing).

Unfortunately, all cars with disc brakes are prone to the pads gripping less as the disc cools and contracts slightly - allowing the car to move. But as a precaution, get the handbrake recall checked to be sure it has been done.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
In a nutshell.............

No matter what the make of car, if it has 4 discs then never park on any incline without leaving in gear, and adjust the alignment of the front wheels to steer it into the kerb should they slip.

·
Definately Female!
2,966 Posts
thats some understatement!!!

There are plenty of threads regarding the known issues with the handbrake and the recall procedure initiated by Honda a year ago.

Andyleem joined in February and hasn't made many posts maybe he hasnt read the entire forum!! Perhaps Honda sales staff should be warning customers about the handbrake when they buy the car.

Sorry to hear about your car hope there isn't too much damage done.

·
Banned
470 Posts
happened to my sisters 1.6, took it to hand and they sorted the handbreak

they suggest leaving it in gear they told us

never happened to mine but i leave it in gear

·
Premium Member
2,763 Posts
My daughters VW Beetle rolled down the hill, despite me telling her countless times to always leave it in gear (Oh, don't go on daddy!!).

Hand brake was on when I caught up with it at the wall down the road.

Just the cooling of the brakes when parked.

PS: Funnily enough now she always leaves it in gear! :popcorn:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts