2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Car mats

Freebies 
16K views 95 replies 52 participants last post by  Sun 
#1 ·
I am reluctant to spend £60 on Honda car mats, but can't find any that fit the front in Halfords.

Currently I am using a pair designed for the rear footwells, but they are not very stylish.

Any suggestions then for where I can get a decent set of car mats, or I am destined to head to my dealer to part with yet more cash?

#5 ·
basegreen said:
I threatened to walk if they didn't include the mats. It's actually quite dangerous driving without them.
Even more dangerous driving with the wrong mats though. If they aren't hooksed in they could slip and block the pedals and you'ld only find out when you go to same on the brakes and the pedal won't budge. :shock:
Better off with NO mats rather than the Wrong mats.

#7 ·
Nadz said:
I am afraid it is the dealer but I would haggle as they have fitting built into the prices.
That made me laugh when the dealer mentioned about fitting the mats, I mean we are talking car mats here. I told him to leave them in the boot and I would "FIT" them myself. £48 for mine.

#8 ·
Fedorov said:
Personally, any dealer that doesn't give you the car mats as part of the deal isn't worth talking to! They should come as standard on ALL cars, crazy to give a new car to a customer with no mats in!!!
Agree, when I asked for mats in my car FOC they didn't even attempt to hum and har, it was a straight "ok then, no problem"

#10 ·
Thanks for all the reponses.
As you can tell I forgot to 'haggle' for the mats and there was no way that they were going to fit them for free!
Looks like a phone call to the dealers tomorrow to see if they have any in stock as I don't like driving without mats and am not happy with my current solution.

#11 ·
Honda100 said:
Thanks for all the reponses.
As you can tell I forgot to 'haggle' for the mats and there was no way that they were going to fit them for free!
Looks like a phone call to the dealers tomorrow to see if they have any in stock as I don't like driving without mats and am not happy with my current solution.
Why not ask them to do them at cost price....? Worth asking.

#12 ·
basegreen said:
Saying that, sometimes my official mats "catch" on the clutch as I bring it up. Might have to think of a way of sticking them down without ruining the floor fabrics.
Has the anchor plate been fitted? Whe I collected my Civ the anchor plate was not fitted, complained and got it fitted. The salesman said they didn't fit them normally as folk complained that they stuck up :?: :twisted:

#14 ·
same problem mine move a bit - well not much now.

but why dont they fit an anchor on the other side or just use a more normal method as with other makers.

#15 ·
I bought a set of 4 mats at the end of April from www.carmats4u. This was based on a comparative review in one of the car mags (I think Auto Express, but I may be wrong). They are all carpet, no rubber bits, and I'm quite happy with them. Total cost including shipping was £47.84, so not a serious drop from the Honda price.

Only the driver's mat has any fixings. These are basically two large plastic screws in the rear offside of the carpet, that appear to fix the mat to the original carpet underneath. Not the prettiest fixings I've ever seen, but they are at the extreme rear and I've had no problems with the carpet moving.

The description shown on the invoice was:

Black Luxury Car Mats Car Model: HONDA CIVIC 5 DOOR (2006) Year of Production: 2006/06

I'd also tried a couple of branches of Halfords earlier, but neither had anything suitable in stock

#16 ·
Thanks for the advice about the anchor plate. I wasn't aware of that at all, so will ask when I collect the mats.
I really much prefer to have a bit of rubber near the pedals. Due to my style of driving I tend to rub away any carpet with my heel, but there doesn't appear to be much choice out there.
Carmats4u have a good range, but as noted, not that much cheaper than Honda's own, which I have now ordered.

#20 ·
The haggling with mats, I am told, is all about digging into the salesman’s commission. The bigger the discount the less he gets. So it all depends on how much the salesman is willing to a dip in his commission.

#22 ·
Hi,

I had a similar problem with mats for the Golf due to the full size accelerator pedal coming up from the floor. Having decided not to pay the dealership price for mats, I found a good set that looked the part for the car only costing £22 and I spent about an hour to cut them to the required size and shape to take the pedal into account and it has worked a treat. I will probably do the same with the Civic once I get one.

#24 ·
MC Hammer said:
WoolyCiv the anchor plate supposed to be under the carpet. Mine is, and it looks much tidier. (lazy dealer I think, even the carpet is precut for the install!).
:oops: :shock: Well spotted, I've got to admit I did think it looked a cheap and shoddy job. Will soon fix it though :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.