·
Bantersaurus Rex
1,567 Posts
How long is a piece of string...

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
If you sit in it and run it for a while maybe
Not necessarily. I could be wrong but I think that would have the opposite affect on the battery and could drain it quicker.

I could be wrong though

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
How long will the car last before a flat battery, I can not drive the car for a while due to a broken Arm, thx in advance
Hi Starpoint, if it helps I use my car far long distance only so my car sits for a while every so often while I use my bike. I installed a Solar Trickle Charger to keep the battery topped up. Just thought it may be a good suggestion as you can use them as a temporary device as well. :cool:

Oxford Solariser Battery Charger
Amazon.co.uk: Oxford Solariser Battery Charger

Goodluck with the recovery hope you can drive again soon!;)

Peter.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Not necessarily. I could be wrong but I think that would have the opposite affect on the battery and could drain it quicker.

I could be wrong though

I tend to agree with rossk1009, I may be wrong as well. But to get the full use out of your alternator you have to be driving around if you just start the car and run it for a few minutes it is less likely to hold a decent charge. That's why I use a Solar Trickle Charger on my car because I dont use it for short distances and I leave it parked for quite a while.

·
shameless
538 Posts
you need around 20-30 minutes of running just to restore what you used to start it, is what i was told

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Hi Starpoint, if it helps I use my car far long distance only so my car sits for a while every so often while I use my bike. I installed a Solar Trickle Charger to keep the battery topped up. Just thought it may be a good suggestion as you can use them as a temporary device as well. :cool:

Oxford Solariser Battery Charger
Amazon.co.uk: Oxford Solariser Battery Charger

Goodluck with the recovery hope you can drive again soon!;)

Peter.
+1
my cars currently standing, so my solar charger is on,
used this a couple and years ago on my astra when that stud, never ever failed me...

·
"Grandad eye"
2,847 Posts
Not good idea running engine and not driving it, dont bother doing anything until your arm is better and just try it. Mine sat for 3 weeks and started perfectly this morning.
Oh perfect perfect!

·
Registered
46 Posts
As above, not a good idea to run your engine for short periods, esp in cold weather.
Water vapour from exhaust gasses condence on the inside of the cold exhaust, where it will stay until the car is driven enough to get the exhaust hot.
This is not good.:facepalm:

·
Helpee
126 Posts
If you have Auto headlights, leave them on auto and your battery will be flat in 3-4 days! Make sure they are turned off and it will be fine for a month at least.....

An optimate is a good idea, i use it on my bike during the winter and my car in the summer. Very small but keeps any battery topped up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.