2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after being stationary for about 20 seconds, whilst indicating right to turn into a road, some guy decided to day dream and hit the back of me at 25mph.
He's admitted fault and everything is going off his insurance, but i feel i'm gonna lose a lot for this.

Paid around £5k a few months ago for a 2010 1.8 Type S GT with 55,000 miles. (bought it off a doctor which just bought a brand new bmw - Says it all really ^_^)
Honestly, i'd say it's worth at least £6,500 with all the additions.
Has the type R spoiler, Good year alloys, LED ice white lights, added bluetooth, parking sensors, upgraded speakers / sound kit & a sub woofer built into the boot. All in mint condition minus a few stone chips on the bonnet.

Garage has quoted £4,700 for the repair so i assume the insurance company will call me tomorrow claiming this isn't feasible and offer me their perceived value of the car - £5000.
Problem is, i can't find a single type S which is even close to matching my current one for the price.

Am i right in assuming insurance companies pay the value you said the car is worth when you first joined them?

My options (Probably):
- Buy a type R around the £5,500 price range since i don't really see the point in getting another type S which i don't like as much as my old one.
- Hope they can repair my car and keep it (I doubt it)
- Not sure what my other options are tbh :/

Either way, i feel i lose out :frown2:
Some pics of my car before

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
What a bummer mate, looked stunning from the pics.

You could always take the cash from the insurer then offer to buy the car back?

But if your going for a ctr just do it as the grin factor on vtec will soon make up for your loss :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie! and Moderator
2,599 Posts
Take what they offer you and then buy the car back for peanuts :smile3:

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Hopefully you've declared all the mods. They will not repair the car if costs exceed 30% of the value of car. Engineer will put value on your car based on what market value and pre-accident condition and not what you valued the car at when you took the policy out.

Personally i would buy car back and break up, sell parts. Should make a few quid that way.

Dont accept first offer and get examples of similar vehicles both private and trade and if u have the receipt from when you bought the car, that may help you.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, forgot buying the car back was an option!
Will have to see what the insurer says tomorrow i guess.

Anything particular i should look for in a Type-R around the 5k price range? Either way, i'm pretty set on milano red or black for now.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,793 Posts
just hope you have declared the mods because the insurance could say we're not paying out, they will have to give you extra for the mods if declared, I had a car stolen years ago and the insurance wanted to give me book price until i mentioned my mods, I'd declared everything ended up getting £2k extra...

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
You don't have to just accept the 1st offer the Insurer offers. You can negotiate.

What you are entitled to is to be put back in the same position you were in before the accident. If your vehicle was unique, then it's open for you to argue that it was worth more before, because it's condition was exceptional and because it had extras that cannot be found on other vehicles that would need to be re-fitted to bring your replacement vehicle up to the same specification. The whole you're entitled to the book price is rubbish. What you're entitled to is the retail market value of the car you had, ie the cost of a replacement, not the leading black book's trade purchase price.

Personally if you can't find a car exactly the same, then I would find other unmodded cars in exceptional condition, then quote them, supplying the pictures of yours to prove it is the same or better, plus the cost of restoring the mods whether from new, or having them transferred over if undamaged (the latter subject to the insurers agreement of course).

That said, it all depends as well on whether or not you declared the mods. If you didn't, then the insurance company may refuse to pay you at all as Insurance is a contract of the utmost honesty - in other words the onus is on you to declare anything different / additional that may affect your premiums.

I'm not sure that for all mods, they can refuse to pay you (although many will). However, anything that may have contributed to the accident eg different brakes, will certainly entitle a refusal, and anything that didn't, will certainly cause you problems, with you only getting back the price of an unmodded car if anything. You may need a lawyer if you didn't declare and they refuse to pay out.

BTW unless it's changed, it's usually 50% of the value of the car (not 30%) before they write off. However, that's easily exceeded here.

I'd also expect you insurance to go up even though it's clearly not your fault (so you might want to get quote before going Type R). So whilst you will retain your no claims if it's protected, they probably will increase your premiums even if they find no fault on you. Only thing you could do is complain to the ombudsman, but it will probably happen anyway as it seems to be pretty much a universal practice and you will have to declare an accident on all future applications for the the time period specified (usually 5 years) which may increase quotes from other companies - they supply the information to each other via a central database in any event.

Another final point, the other driver admitting liability isn't always helpful. Again unless it's changed, pretty much all insurance includes a term that if you admit liability the policy is void. I've never heard of one being voided for this reason, but just be aware, many policies could technically be voided if an admission is made. I understand the reason for this is the insurers don't want policy holders admitting liability as they are not in a position to assess the facts from a legal liability perspective and thus could prejudice the insurers defence.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
if your car is written off claim for every single mod declared or not, your dealing with their insurance company not yours it doesn't matter what you did or didn't declare your not liable for the accident and your own insurance isn't interested their not paying you

i think it's a bit late now but i would have dealt with their insurance company directly after informing my own insurance i had been involved in an accident
your own insurance would tell you who the car is insured with from the reg plate and i would take it from there

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turned out we're both using the same insurer - Admiral.
So it's kinda confusing at times. I Have to keep stating that nothing is coming out of my insurance just to make sure, as it's simply just 'admiral' that keep calling.
A few of my mods are declared, but definitely not all of them.
So you think i could just declare everything as it's not coming out of my insurance?
Could be risky if it doesn't work that way though

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Turned out we're both using the same insurer - Admiral.
So it's kinda confusing at times. I Have to keep stating that nothing is coming out of my insurance just to make sure, as it's simply just 'admiral' that keep calling.
A few of my mods are declared, but definitely not all of them.
So you think i could just declare everything as it's not coming out of my insurance?
Could be risky if it doesn't work that way though
You could try the "i didnt know" it was a mod and thought it came as standard excuse. Doesn't help that you are both insured with same insurer as its a double whammy for them so will definitely be looking to minimise their outlay.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts