2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, parked my car in the drive only to find an hour later that it had rolled down the drive embedding itself in my gas meter box and the drain pipe, handbrake still on.:confused: it wasn't until the guy at the spray shop told me what had happened that i realised about the brakes cooling down :( I now leave the gear lever in 1st as well as the handbrake on.

Only had the car two weeks but i thought my honda dealer would have tipped me off about this happening!!! anyone else had the same problem in the past with parking on a slope.?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Nope but then I was taught to always leave it in gear even with the handbrake on.

Bad luck either way...

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
It was once a common problem when disc brakes replaced drum brakes on the rear... discs shrink (but drums contract) so handbrake effectiveness may reduce if the discs were hot when first parked up.

Interestingly (maybe) unlike the saloon models, Accord tourer models have separate rear drum brakes solely for the handbrake. Due to the potentially higher weight when carrying a load, I guess?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was once a common problem when disc brakes replaced drum brakes on the rear... discs shrink (but drums contract) so handbrake effectiveness may reduce if the discs were hot when first parked up.

Interestingly (maybe) unlike the saloon models, Accord tourer models have separate rear drum brakes solely for the handbrake. Due to the potentially higher weight when carrying a load, I guess?
Yes apparently it's because they don't put asbestos in the brakes anymore, and yes like most of you i have always left my car in gear but this is the first automatic that i've owned which hasn't got a park setting on the gear lever., there is a small section in the hand book (which i have now read):D that tells you to leave it in First or reverse if parking on a slope but it doesn't say why, lesson learn't on my part.:D

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Any damage

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Could have been worse i guess

·
Registered
408 Posts
I once found my MR2 in someone else's garden after leaving the handbrake on and as it was so rubbish it rested against another car. When they drove off it rolled down 50 yards and the front splitter ended up grounded in there grass/garden. I was on a date at the time so lucky for me It hadn't hit anyone and I drove it away never to return again :)

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Sounds familiar!!
Happened to me.
'Always' park, in gear. This one time I hadn't - always short of time midday.

Mechanical sympathy plays against common sense, not to HEAVE the handbrake until it moves any more, so I was always 'just firm plus 1 or 2 clicks' - then one day saw it between the gate posts - NOTHING touched!

I triple check now, to ensure there are no repeats.
Al.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,896 Posts
I once found my MR2 in someone else's garden after leaving the handbrake on and as it was so rubbish it rested against another car...
LOL - We've got an MR2. You really don't know what a terrible handbrake is until you've owned an MR2...

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
This happened to me on both civics. Rolled off the drive and stopped in the middle of the road. Although I now leave them in gear anyway, changing the crap Honda discs and pads stopped it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: atom3624

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
I dont know why some people put their car in Neutral.

It makes no sense.

If the handbrake fails and it has happened on these civics(recall about this issue) there is nothing to hold the car.

Any damage to the gas meter box.
You wouldn't keep an automatic in D, N or R and just let it hold with the handbrake

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
heard this plenty of times before infact my 92 eg civic has done a similar thing but that was out the workshop door and luckily didn't hit anything.

Tbh rear calipers/handbrake has always been a weak point on civics i always leave mine in gear+handbrake on just lucky it didn't roll into another car or someone elses house really.

·
Administrator
MY13 9G Civic Auto
21,420 Posts
On the auto model it won't let you take the key out of the ignition unless it's in "P".

I'm fascinated how they lock the key in there

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
It did happen to me once with my wife's Civic with iShift. After a really tough day I parked the car on our drive which is on incline and a neighbour called later to tell me it was almost into the road!

Never happened again as I double check the handbrake in on securely.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I once found my MR2 in someone else's garden after leaving the handbrake on and as it was so rubbish it rested against another car. When they drove off it rolled down 50 yards and the front splitter ended up grounded in there grass/garden. I was on a date at the time so lucky for me It hadn't hit anyone and I drove it away never to return again :)
Wow you was lucky.:D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts