2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
If Carlsberg did Civics..
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in.

Well I only have myself to blame for this so abuse is accepted...

I've been using the automatic carwashes of late (i know) and as a result my car now has many scratches from a dodgy one I must have had done. If I run my fingernail across them I can feel them so theyre pretty bad ones. I have also had some muppet knock the back of my car in a car park and they've scraped some paint off the back (about 2 thumbnails worth).

I'm wondering what the best way is to repair this. Any ideas on how much a Honda bodywork shop will charge me to sort it?

I've only got myself to blame so I dont mind reaching into my pocket. Just wondered if anyone had any hints on what I may be looking at here as I plan my money for the summer. ;)

I'll be nipping out this weekend to get my OWN cleaning equipement again and will do things MYSELF again from now on.

Sorry about the bad english, just got back from the pub :p

Cheers

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
my car has been keyed twice, down one side the scratch is 2 panels long and the other side it is 4 panels, honda body shop quoted a grand to get it sprayed up and sorted, holding out for something cheaper though, and i just feel that as soon as i get it done, I'll get keyed again

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A grand! Too rich for my blood. Annoyingly for me mine are light scratches across the whole bodywork. I'm going to do my best this weekend to see if I can get them out. Oddly enough the scratches seem more raised then dented when I run my finger along them. Very odd.

·
<3
2,103 Posts
Are they swirls or deep scratches? Could you not ask someone to "detail" your car it might help improve the look of it and polish out some of the worst bits for a fraction of the cost (I think I was quoted about £350 for the full works).. just an idea! :)

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
was going to say the same..get it detailed..there was a thread here about cleaning scratches..totally worth it to make it look like brand new again :)

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys. Its odd. I've been out and managed to almost remove one of these 'scratches' by scraping it off with my fingernail, with only some residue left. I'm wondering if these are scratches at all.

·
<3
2,103 Posts
You're brave!! Maybe you just need to give your car a good wash with the right techniques ;);)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Get some Autoglym Super resin Polish and a decent microfibre pad and do the whole car. Work the polish in till its clear then buff off. Go round the car a couple of times and see how it looks. If happy with that (the swirls will be masked in the main) then apply a pure wax or some AG Extra gloss protection to seal in the filler on the polish. I am sure the improvement will be massive and should remove what appears to be dried on deposits as well. Ideally you should clay the car using the likes of Bilthamber soft clay which will remove the residue you refer to then use SRP but at the very least pick the worst panel on the car and use SRP on that.

The improvement should be very good. You wont remove all that damage for good unless you get the car polished by a pro. Read up on machine polishing etc on detailingworld.com. also read up on how to wash a car using two buckets etc. If you have access to a hose get a pressure washer and foam lance if you can which helps a lot in avoiding scratches on such a soft paint.

·
<3
2,103 Posts
Can I just add that at the Megs seminar yesterday, machine polishing was demonstrated and it looked simples. I think a few members on here will be buying one.. Me included!

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Can I just add that at the Megs seminar yesterday, machine polishing was demonstrated and it looked simples. I think a few members on here will be buying one.. Me included!
Yup - seriously considering one of those ;)

·
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heh, cant believe I was even contemplating a respray. Alot of T-Cut and some elbow grease later and it looks like it just got off the forcourt!

Cheers all for the advice. My arms are still recovering...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts