2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this is a fault or not, i think it could be closely linked with my poor driving skills. But when I am driving, and put my foot down in second, as I approach 8,000rpm, and change gear, the car shudders as i compress the accelerator back down to the floor to accelerate through the next gear - A little bit like its gasping for air, or just gasping.

Almost like a slight hesitation from the car? it lasts probably .5 of a second, but it shudders the vehicle. It doesn't happen all the time, just occasionally, which may suggest its linked with how i drive the car, or how wrongly I drive the car for that matter. It normally happens when i take it up to the limiter, or just before the limiter.

Am i lifting the clutch up to fast? or to slow? Could I be getting the swap over between clutch and accelerator completely wrong?:facepalm:

It could easily be a fault with the car, but not quite sure what to search for?

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it´s after you change gear, let the clutch up and press the accelerator down in the next higher gear?
Yes, after i've changed gear (from 2nd to 3rd)... and start to go in the next gear (3rd). First thing before it starts accelerating through that next gear (3rd).. A slight gasp or hesitation...

the closest scenario is to the shudder you'd expect if you were to hit the limiter, but im 100% not hitting the limiter.

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
What is your RPM doing at the time of the judder? Is it going down (quickly) before beginning to go up again normally (with acceleration)? Go outside and test it now!! :VTECSMILEY:

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is your RPM doing at the time of the judder? Is it going down (quickly) before beginning to go up again normally (with acceleration)? Go outside and test it now!! :VTECSMILEY:
Thats one element I cant answer... I struggle to keep my eyes on the rev limter all the time, just at the time when I need to change, then my eyes are back on the road. I was thinking this, having a look at the rev's and see if there is an odd pattern?

Im 80% certain its in my driving, something to do with the clutch and accelerator - maybe I'm being to tough on the pedals, pulling the clutch up to fast.... It never does it at slightly lower rpm, say 7,000 even 7,500. Maybe I am hitting the limiter by mistake or getting close to it, causing a loss in power. Or everything is going so fast on the clock at 8,000 rpm, that my feet are just not in tune with the car

My mate said, its obvious, as you get this pull/shudder/kick back in the seats in the car... as if the car is trying to catch up where it left off.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MAF Sensor? Not long had the gruppe M fitted, well...it was fitted on Sat?

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has it just started to happen or not? You're using Flashpro you could do some data logging to see what is going on...
No I dont have flash pro, and I suppose its more recognisable now with the loud exhaust. You can really hear everything the engine is thinking. I think its to do with Throttle Response? Seems like a slight lag at high RPM?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
No I dont have flash pro, and I suppose its more recognisable now with the loud exhaust. You can really hear everything the engine is thinking. I think its to do with Throttle Response? Seems like a slight lag at high RPM?
Dammit I wish (and I bet you do) that you did. Did the problem occur before the Gruppe M though? The only thing I can suggest (at a stretch) is that it is to do with the OEM ECU getting confused at high RPM and throttling back.

You can still get an OBDII port reader and software which will give you all the details for around £35 on Amazon (I've been looking at getting one for a while). If you want a link give me a shout but there is a thread on here where someone is doing the same thing.

Hope you can get it pinned down soon, or someone can give you an exact answer. Is a little odd though...

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dammit I wish (and I bet you do) that you did. Did the problem occur before the Gruppe M though? The only thing I can suggest (at a stretch) is that it is to do with the OEM ECU getting confused at high RPM and throttling back.

You can still get an OBDII port reader and software which will give you all the details for around £35 on Amazon (I've been looking at getting one for a while). If you want a link give me a shout but there is a thread on here where someone is doing the same thing.

Hope you can get it pinned down soon, or someone can give you an exact answer. Is a little odd though...
Yeah, send me the link, what will that tell me?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/49072-obdii-data-into-iphone-other-phones-garmin-sat-nav-seperate-screen-etc-merged.html Is the link to the thread with details on here.

Search Amazon for Bluetooth OBDII and you should find the kit you need (I can't as I'm at work). If you don't mind using laptop and cable then don't get bluetooth.

More info in the thread above but then an app for your phone will record the data. Think you need some custom PID as discussed in the other thread but you should still be able to read engine load, rpm, manifold pressure, temperature, coolant temp, maf reading etc... I'm still in the "waiting for more info and pay day before spending camp" at the minute but will likely do this sooner than any 'big' mod - as the cost doesn't seem that much to be able to work out what is going on in the engine.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/electronics/49072-obdii-data-into-iphone-other-phones-garmin-sat-nav-seperate-screen-etc-merged.html Is the link to the thread with details on here.

Search Amazon for Bluetooth OBDII and you should find the kit you need (I can't as I'm at work). If you don't mind using laptop and cable then don't get bluetooth.

More info in the thread above but then an app for your phone will record the data. Think you need some custom PID as discussed in the other thread but you should still be able to read engine load, rpm, manifold pressure, temperature, coolant temp, maf reading etc... I'm still in the "waiting for more info and pay day before spending camp" at the minute but will likely do this sooner than any 'big' mod - as the cost doesn't seem that much to be able to work out what is going on in the engine.
Or i'll take it to TDI?

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have you reset the ecu since fitting the gruppe m?
No, but I was planing to do that tonight - I was told that it didnt matter, the car would eventually learn. Well, i think i heard that... but that is a great shout.... Possible cause.

·
I vtec'ed your mum!
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just reset the ecu, left it 15, to fully drain the ecu as sometimes the ecu stores power, connected it back up and bizzarely it didn't ask me for the code for the radio?

But anyway, got driving and although resetting the ecu was probably worth doing, I'm 100% sure it was my driving causing the problem.

Took my memory back to basics, and certain that I'm slamming the clutch down at the end of 2nd gear, and not supressing the accelerator down enough/if at all as I raise the clutch causing it to stutter-I.e getting the right mix of clutch and power...for a swift gear change

Altered my driving and thought about the gear change more as i do it and now it seems so much better... I'm not the best at gear changing at the best of times. Think I'd just picked up some lazy driving habbits....problem solves I think, or hope. Only took it for a quick 30 minute drive and managed to only do the stutter once, rest of the time it was fine. Resetting the ecu was well worth it though! Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts