2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a nightmare. My car has been parked up for the last 2 months as it won't start. Has been to 3 garages all of whom can't resolve. It turns over but won't fire up. The engine light comes on, then vsa then airbag. It used to start after several attempts of taking key in and out but now won't fire up at all...The battery is fine and new as someone said it might be that. They have run diagnostics without success and told me it had to go to honda to use their specific diagnostic systems. Any ideas because I don't fancy getting ripped off by honda dealers. This has been a nightmare! !!!

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Have you tried resetting the fuel cut off?

Maybe it's just damm well flooded? Is it a petrol model?

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Give these a ring, they are not too far from you

Moorwell Service Station. Moorwell Service Station 01724 271851 157 Moorwell Rd , Scunthorpe , DN17 2SX.

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,920 Posts
Try using 'easy-start' spray on it... if it starts and then runs OK then it's probably the fuel rail is failing to achieve the necessary 200 bar whilst cranking. This can either be due to excessive injector leak-back (easy to test for... do a search) or the fuel rail over-pressure valve is leaking (a fairly common problem)... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/11...over-pressure-relief-valve-2006-2-2-ctdi.html

Most garages should have diagnostic equipment that can measure the fuel rail pressure in real time (Snap-on machine, HDS or even some simple OBD2 readers can all do this) so get them to check if the magic 200 bar figure is being reached during cranking - below this and the ECU will not signal the injectors to function, so no starting!

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
Try using 'easy-start' spray on it... if it starts and then runs OK then it's probably the fuel rail is failing to achieve the necessary 200 bar whilst cranking. This can either be due to excessive injector leak-back (easy to test for... do a search) or the fuel rail over-pressure valve is leaking (a fairly common problem)... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/11...over-pressure-relief-valve-2006-2-2-ctdi.html

Most garages should have diagnostic equipment that can measure the fuel rail pressure in real time (Snap-on machine, HDS or even some simple OBD2 readers can all do this) so get them to check if the magic 200 bar figure is being reached during cranking - below this and the ECU will not signal the injectors to function, so no starting!

This is what I would say too if it's not an intermittent immobiliser fault (key transponder or receiver ariel in ignition barrel)

Brake cleaner or easy start, don't be too generous if you don't know what you are doing as the revs will get out of hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Would these issues still cause the series of warning lights to come on in sequence in the center display? Other people have said it might be the ecu? I would have thought the garages would have tested something simple like trying start spray? Will try it anyway.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hi there. Defo try ** fuel cut of switch. I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Wasnt until i look on here and found out about the fuel cut of switch. Its under the steering wheel. If u open the drivers door and look at the dash there like a tringle panel the can pop out. Pop it off and look through the mentel gap and should see a small is black knob. Push it and see if it makes a nosie, if it does try and start it and hopfuly she should start.
Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Would these issues still cause the series of warning lights to come on in sequence in the center display? Other people have said it might be the ecu? I would have thought the garages would have tested something simple like trying start spray? Will try it anyway.
Re: warning lights, some may be a red herring, recently we had a Toyota Avensis response ambulance car misfueled, petrol put in a diesesl, it was driven about ten miles at speed before it cut out.

It had all sorts of warning lights come up including airbag, abs and a host of others.

Once the fuel problem was resolved we were able to reset all the wrning lights.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Same issue?

VSA WARNING guaranteed fuel cut off switch. i had same issue.
Did you have airbag and engine warning lights? Also it used to start after several attempts (doesn't now) did yours do the same?? Also, I haven't been tinkering under the dash, so how would it have switched off? I know one guy was installing a stereo and this happened, but I haven't changed anything.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts