2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driver's door has started telling me it is open when it is firmly closed. It is very difficult to drive as the warning 'door open' beeps go constantly, the warning screen on the dash keeps flashing a picture of the open door and the interior lights keep turning on and off. An added complication is that I cannot lock the car as it insists the door is still open.

The fault seems to be the connection in the door that is not touching the car correctly. I have dried it and sprayed with WP40. This made it a little better in as much that it connects when accelerating but starts flashing and beeping every time I use my brakes or drive over a bump. Plus I cannot lock the car.

Interestingly if I lock the doors while driving, it promptly unlocks the door and tells me door is open.

Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
it does sound like the door switch is playing up. My friends A3 did this on the boot and the alarm kept going off. In her case the rear washer jet was leaking onto the switch and caused it to corrode. For a start i would take the wires off the switch and give them a clean up with a fine sandpaper to ensure the terminals are clean. If that fails then try the switch. Other than that there could be a bad earth somewhere but if thats case you will probably notice other electrical items not working correctly that are connected to the same earth point. My money's on the switch though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:DI took the car to my dealer who said it was a common fault. The seat belt buckle had caught in the door causing a tiny indentation. This meant the rubber door shut switch was not properly pressed in.

The cure was a sticky patch on the door which raised the level and ensured the door switch was pushed in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read your post and tried the sticky tape. Problem solved.

:DI took the car to my dealer who said it was a common fault. The seat belt buckle had caught in the door causing a tiny indentation. This meant the rubber door shut switch was not properly pressed in.

The cure was a sticky patch on the door which raised the level and ensured the door switch was pushed in.

·
Super Moderator
2,396 Posts
good example of why we like positive feedback after solving problems
it gives others a option to try when having similar issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts