2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, due to covid the wife's 68 plate civic battery died. I've charged it up but now the immobiliser light keeps flashing so the car turns over but wont start. Does anyone know away of resetting this or is it a dealer job.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
A couple of bits; Did you charge with the negative connected to the body? Otherwise the charge won't be correctly detected.

Secondly, It could be worth taking the battery out fully, charging it completely and reinstalling - That should give everything a chance to reset completely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I didn't have the keys in when changing the battery and I dont have any jump leads.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
shouldn't wipe the code then
try locking and unlocking the car and try to start again
or try spare key if you have 1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried both keys, tried disconnecting battery again, tried leaving ignition on for 10 mins x3, tried some weird key lock and unlock combinations as per google.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
if you been unlucky and it has wiped the code not sure if a proper car locksmith will be able to recode it or its a dealer only
don't usually wipe the code with just a battery change
just take a look make sure theres no fuse blew

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with it modern electronics are complex if I were you I would call the dealership, I think some of them should be back to work now following an easing of lockdown

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the civicx.com forum pasted below

Thanks for this! I rang honda this morning who advised me to pump the brake after the battery was swapped. Breakdown came back out, tried it and it worked. Just needed to pump the brake beforehand and it started!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You need to hold down brake and clutch the first time after a battery change to start. As it's been standing for a while I assume it didnt register until pumping the brake.

·
4,211 Posts
Ah. Didn't twig 10G. Press hard on both pedals. If you look at the center display, it shows you, but unless you already know what it means, it's about as much use as it's on a fish.

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
just noticed its still under warranty why didn't you get dealer to sort it
you should be covered by the honda breakdown cover

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is it classed as a breakdown at your house. The wife read through some paperwork and didnt think it applied.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Possibly, more worried about having to get it towed to a dealer which is over 20 miles away. Luckily we dont need them now although the tyre pressure warning kept going off on the test drive and the pressure looks fine with the naked eye.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts