2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been spamming PM's to various people, the chatbox, all sorts - but I'm starting to panic a little bit as I think I've broken my car! :(

Basically I've obtained a wingmirror folding module from a civinfo trader and I've made a mess of installing it.

Initially I had installed the module and it wasn't working as expected - when taking my key out of the ignition the mirrors would fold in - then they would fold back out again once the key went back in the ignition.

I went back outside to fiddle again, changed a few connections and when I put the doorcard back on, then put the key to the second click -the windows/mirrors/wipers all operate really slowly like they're stuck in tar, and when I try to start the engine - the dash gauges all plunge into darkness and the engine fails to start up.

With the help of some chatbox spam I've found the inertia switch and tried that to no avail. My GF is off to her parents soon so I'm going to see if she can fetch me back some jumper leads - but if I've flattened the battery, what have I done to cause that and will it just happen again?

Thanks in advance guys. I'd like to clarify that it's my poor ability to do anything right that's caused this and NOT the mirror folding module, the product and instructions provided are excellent.

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
1) Do you have a multimeter to check if you have any voltage on the battery terminals?

2) Have you tried disconnecting the module completely, and then trying to start the car?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) Nope, but if I need to get one - I will first thing in the morning!

2) Not yet, as installing the module involved butchering quite a few wires in the doorcard loom. I may remove it all tomorrow and simply join up all the old wires again and hope for the best...

Thanks FWH

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts
It's always a good idea to go back to the starting point.

This way you know if something else has been damaged (or has just happened to fail for an unrelated reason) or if it is just the new item (or incorrect installation thereof) causing a problem.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't have the radio on... however could the internal lamps have drained the power over time?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
+1 sounds like flat battery mate.
When I sprayed my trim etc the door was open for a while then when I went to start it I had same symptoms as you with dim dash etc so left it until morning. Before I jumped it in morning I thought I would try start it and it started no bother :s I was confused it healed itself :)

Mick

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.004704,-1.533607

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
Hello Fonzey,

As discussed in the chat box, I suspect the battery is flat. If however you plan to jump start the battery please search within the forum's wiki or threads on how to jump start the civic so you don't damage your ECU or wipe the key's program.

Cheers
M

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She lives! AA came to jump me as I realised I had homestart cover with my bank current account.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Did you sort your module out?going to the first post that you did,you said the mirror shuts when you take the key out off the ignition and opens when you put it back just to check you did'nt have the wing mirror button pressed in after you had done the wiring on the door card.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi mate, the original mirror module problem still exists - but that might have to be a job for next weekend now :p

The button wasn't pushed in, but I've tried it many times with the button pressed or not pressed.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Have you got the resisitor the correct way round?when i installed mine could not get them to work correctly until i turned the resistor around.Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you got the resisitor the correct way round?when i installed mine could not get them to work correctly until i turned the resistor around.Just a thought.
That's my leading theory. The instructions said to line the diode up so that the end with a white band around it should be closest to the socket on the doorcard, and the unbanded end should lead to the loom and the rest of the car.

I did it this way (double and triple checked), so will swap it next time I've got the doorcard off.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
If you post a picture of the the plugs you have wired up mate I will tell you where you have gone wrong. I expect you have snipped into an incorrect central locking cable as if you have the doors locked with this module and take the key out the ignition they will fold - unlock the car (using switch inside) with ignition off and they open. Hope that makes sense

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll take a picture when I next get the doorcard off, but I plugged into a minty green colour wire coming out of the central locking loom.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
If you post a picture of the the plugs you have wired up mate I will tell you where you have gone wrong. I expect you have snipped into an incorrect central locking cable as if you have the doors locked with this module and take the key out the ignition they will fold - unlock the car (using switch inside) with ignition off and they open. Hope that makes sense
+1.
And also do what was previously stated, take it all off and start over. It's the only way. I managed to run out of gas when soldering, was going to drive to get some more and realised my mirrors were stuck in so had to walk. Let's see your wiring, and I imagine it'll be something blatant to anyone who's done the mod.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts