2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone put carbon fibre on their bonnet? is it easy to do, whats the best way to do it, would you recommend doing it or paying to get it done for me and finally does anyone know any good places to buy it/any recommendations on where to buy high quality carbon fibre.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

·
Go with the Flo...
1,139 Posts
Ive been doing a lot of carbon mods on my car just now, but i still wouldnt attempt a bonnet or roof myself.. I have enquired about having the roof done and they wanted £80 labour (the carbon is £35)

Try ebay for the vinyl. 3M carbon dinoc is the leading brand..which ive used. But i recently found a different more cheaper option which i prefer the look of (it seems more shiny and darker) and has been easier to work with (not as thick)

Carbon Fibre Wrapping Vinyl 1000 x 1500 Sheet like 3M on eBay (end time 15-Jun-11 11:56:52 BST)

they can supply you enough to do the roof. or if you prefer to use the 3M stuff theres plenty of sellers on ebay you could message for a bigger sheet.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I wrapped my roof yesterday. the mistake i made was not spraying enough soapy water on the roof before i laid the vinyl down.

just take your time, make sure the roof is nice and wet. I managed to pull it off and respray it underneath, took me a while to get all the bubbles out but i managed it and it looked amazing mate. it was my first attempt and i was really impressed.

Then i bodged it u by trimming the edges too far so you could see bits of the roof. I ripped it all off. luckily i bought enough to do the roof twice, so this time I will make sure i use plenty of soapy, a very soft squeegee. And most impportantly i will use a ruler and a sharp razor to get the edges perfect.

Its really not that difficult tbh. just takes a bit of patience. It cost me 30 quid for enough to do the roof twice so use the first half for practice then when youve made a few mistakes the second time you will get it spot on.

I will post pics up when ive done it. OH also make sure its not windy lol. its imossible to pull apart if it sticks together.

·
Registered
607 Posts
branyik - just need to carbon the splitter now, would look great (IMO) and mirror caps ?

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Seibon make an amazing Carbon Fiber hood. would def reccomend saving the pennies and getting the real thing as it looks way better IMHO.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Are the mirror caps tricky to do? ordered some di-noc, attempting this myself
I did my mirrors a while back and due to curvature it is a pain. A lot of pulling, heat, patience, and swearing!!!

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
Haha ill have to give it patience im like a bull at a gate with everything i do!
Did you get it done? If so, show pics!!!

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Spray water, Soapy water? This is done with window tints not with wrapping products. Go on youtube and enter car wrapping. You won't see soapy water anywhere. Dust free environment & a heat gun. My roof took professionals about 1 hour to do.

The product you need is hexis not 3M. 3M is for industrial building's not designed for cars.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Mine as below. Just a tip, if anyone is planning wrapping the roof and buying a real carbon bonnet. Don't!!! The match will look silly. Wrap is dull and matt, where as proper resi carbon will have a shiny finish.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
That's what I thought, some one said on here use water :/ , however I don't went carbon wrapping,
No way,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
When I did my mirror caps, I used a little bit of regular water and mine came out just fine.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
That's what I thought, some one said on here use water :/ , however I don't went carbon wrapping,
No way,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try wrapping your roof without soapy water mate i bet you my life savings you will be 100% unsuccesful.

It is the SAME principal as tinting your windows. I would positively love to see you do it ON YOUR OWN (I.e without all the tools that the proffesionals have on hand) without a bubble.

peace

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Is it ok to spray water on?? i ddnt think they did this is a shop?
they probably dont, however is your going to do this yourrself i would recommend the use of soapy water.

Spray water, Soapy water? This is done with window tints not with wrapping products. Go on youtube and enter car wrapping. You won't see soapy water anywhere. Dust free environment & a heat gun. My roof took professionals about 1 hour to do.
My roof also took me an hour to do. I see you paid someone to do it for you.
If you had done it yourself you would have discovered it nigh on impossible without water. besides makes no difference to the finished product once its been squeegeed out. :worms:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts