2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I installed laptop as a carpc in my civic. Also I have connects2box aux-in connected to HU.
Now it feels like there is subwoofer installed too, although there's not. :)
Unbelievable how much sound quality changed when playing music from carpc. It feels like it's a different car.
Well, that's it. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea get some pics and details up! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About the installation,

I had to install connects2box so I had to get in dash. That part was piece of cake, because of the great instructions from wiki.
I installed laptop to the pocket behind passengers seat. All wires goes from there under the center part where handbrake, cig-plug and gearstick are. Passenger can still fully move the seat in any position if wanted. :)

I bought touchscreen, and mounted it to center air vent with brodit mount.
I'm still looking for some kind of plastic thing or something, which hides the visible part of the laptop. So this part is not yet done..

Specs:
- Laptop: Dell D420 (powerbutton in the left corner, so no need to solder remote start button under the lid)
- Front-End: CentraFuse 2.0RC2 (very good, final version will be out soon)
- External DVD-player
- USB-adapter (for usb-stick or what ever)
- 20Gb MP3's and movies
- Flash OFDM and HSDPA wireless connections
- Possibility to install gps-software, use phone, sing karaoke :rolleyes:

Here's the pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Quite an achievement that mate - well done....not for me though - it all looks a little too 'Work in progress' for my liking...

Each to their own.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would worry about having too much "on show" in a system like that. I once left my black uni bag in the rear footwell of my old micra and the b******ds smashed my window and nicked the lot!

Good luck with it though!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would worry about having too much "on show" in a system like that. I once left my black uni bag in the rear footwell of my old micra and the b******ds smashed my window and nicked the lot!

Good luck with it though!
It could be, but I'm taking that risk. Hopefully no one needs a touchscreen. :) Laptop is covered soon.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Some fecker would rob that .Your a brave man with all that hardware in your car

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Jani- Lovely job you've done! Thats an amazing little cartft screen youve got there also. Personally i think itd be very attractive for possible theives to target so please take care.

If it could all be somehow stealthed out, hidden away, it would be even more awesome....I wonder if there is a double din headunit with a touch screen that pops out that could take a pc as input? ie VGA cable...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,

I moved laptop from passenger seat backpocket to glovebox. Now it's completely hide, and it's great! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It has been quite some time for my last post in this topic, but if anyone is interested here's new pictures of my carpc installation. Maybe it doesn't look that unfinished anymore than it used to look. As said, I changed my laptop from Dell D600 to smaller laptop Dell D420. I was just able to install it to glovebox because of its size. There's external harddrive attached (Iomega 200Gb) with over 10000 songs, and everything works like a charm. (Thank's to Centrafuse CarPC FrontEnd). One of the great things in this installation is that when it's in the glovebox, laptop doesn't overheat like it overheated in passengers seat backpocket (direct sunshine). Aircondition keeps it chill in summer when it's really hot.
Screen was earlier little bit higher, and it was shaking badly when driving to bumps, now it's much lower and it doesn't shake no more. Also screen/pc is much easier and safer to use when driver doesn't have to reach as far as earlier. As you all now, mode can be changed in HU by pressing steering wheel buttons and adjust volume too. There's still possibility to insert CD if needed, screen isn't that close. This is so cool, don't know how what to do if I wouldn't have this thing installed. :)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts