2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the right oil for the type r. It says on the leaflet that came with the car. Anyone else use this. There is no definitive answer anywhere.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Nobody knows. When you look at a bottle of 0w-30 Edge its actually states that its designed for BMW and VW/Audi engines which seems to go against what they are saying.

Honda seem to recommend HONDA 0w-30 in the handbook for all models as it 'improves' fuel consumption, however you should be using an oil which is correct for the ambient temp and how the car is going to be used. If its going to be V'tec'd lots and lots then something like 5w-40 or 10w-40 would be better.

Seems to be lots and lots of different opinions on this

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
There is a thread here about it:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/16400-whats-standard-oil-used-type-r.html

It seems nobody really knows (as Angie has said).

I'm using the Castrol (although have yet to actually put any in). The dealer I bought the car from said they use Semi-synthetic 5-40w.

I phoned a different dealer and they always use the Castrol - that's what I intend to use from now on.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
It should ALWAYS be Fully Synthetic - thats for sure. But its like everything in life, you need to make choices based on how the car is going to be used and driven or how you expect

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
0W-30 is the best oil for your car, assuming you live in Europe and you won't be circuit racing it.

Both Honda and Castrol recommend 0W-30. A thicker oil at temperature (the 30 bit) may cost you some power and economy. A thicker oil when cold (the 0 bit) may cause more engine wear at startup. Higher numbers = thicker.

Castrol 0W-30 is a very good example of that oil, though there may be better.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Yep - I couldn't believe it when they told me that - no servicing from them that's for sure!!

Could have been a mistake by the person who told me but I'm not risking it!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
0W-30 is the best oil for your car, assuming you live in Europe and you won't be circuit racing it.

Both Honda and Castrol recommend 0W-30. A thicker oil at temperature (the 30 bit) may cost you some power and economy. A thicker oil when cold (the 0 bit) may cause more engine wear at startup. Higher numbers = thicker.

Castrol 0W-30 is a very good example of that oil, though there may be better.

My dealer (Holdcroft Honda) recommend 0W-30 and that's what they'll be using at my first service on Friday. :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed, makes sense to use what honda say and thats castrol edge 0w30.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ow30 or 0w40, we are talking premium fully synthetic oils, all will do a very good job imo compared to mass market advertised semi-synth like Magnatec

For me the 0w40 covers cold starts and more high temperature protection compared to absolute fuel efficiency, each to their own!

·
Registered
353 Posts
My dealer (Holdcroft Honda) recommend 0W-30 and that's what they'll be using at my first service on Friday. :)
That what they told me as well but they use the cheap old Castrol Fx or something which is now replaced by Edge

So i bought some 0W-30 Edge

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The manual states 10-40W Semi Synthetic on the CTRs, there must be a reason for this, when other manufacters use fully synthetic in their cars. It can't be due to cost cutting but the way the engine has been designed? Semi synthetic oil is thicker than fully synthetic!

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
The manual states 10-40W Semi Synthetic on the CTRs, there must be a reason for this, when other manufacters use fully synthetic in their cars. It can't be due to cost cutting but the way the engine has been designed? Semi synthetic oil is thicker than fully synthetic!
And where does it state that? Because I am looking at it and I can't see it advising Semi Synthetic

1 - 18 of 18 Posts