2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure many of you do too, I've got a bunch of home cooked MP3 CDRs in the car which I listen to daily. I first noticed a month or so back that under braking or going down hill I could hear the CD clicking in the drive. As the weight shifted forward, it was like the CD moved slightly and was just catching something making a tick, tick, tick sound. Some more weeks passed and I started noticed this tick tick ticking from the CD even when the car was flat. What's odd is that it seems to only be triggered by one or two albums on the CD. Other CDs do it too, but also generally only on one or two albums and not the whole disk.

Other things of note... It never happens when I start a journey, seems to be after about 30 minutes of driving, so I wonder if it's related to heat. Is the CD warping ever so slightly and just catching the laser? That would sort of explain why only certain places in the CD cause it. It's become a problem anyway as twice now it has caused the CD player to stop trying to play the disk completely. The screen where the song title is displayed goes completely blank, and there's no more sounds from the slot. The controls still work though, so I can always seek to a different folder on the disk and it starts working again.

Has anyone else had this? Is it just a dodgey couple of CDRs, or is it a problem with the CD player getting warm causing the CD to warp slightly?

Sadly, as a 55 plate it has recently left the manufacturers warranty period, so any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure yet. I've got a load in the car so will probably find out Tuesday as it's my drive to work that seems to do it. Was just curious in the mean time if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I've had this problem aswell, exactly as you have described and also with CD-Rs, not tried it with a proper CD yet. Any help on this would be appreciated as my car goes out of warranty in june.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the drive in to work this morning I had a normal, bought audio CD on and the same thing happened. Not happy. :(

Am I just going to have to take it to Honda and pay unforeseen amounts of money for them to have a look at it?

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
ouch! :(

I was hoping (as I guess JTL was) that a bought CD wouldn't click - pointing to the issue being the CDR :(

not sure where to go from here, sorry :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts