2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just wanted to know how many of you guys have problems playing CD-R's in the Civic? I noticed a couple of my discs kept skipping on certain tracks and then froze with the the display flashing "DISC". The same discs played fine on my old Yaris CD player, so is the Civic player quite sensitive to scratches or something? I must say I'm not entirely satisfied by its integrity of performance so far! :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
I personally have no problem at all with CD-R disc, I use them all the time rather than leave the original CD's in the car. Both as MP3 disc's (25) or copies of original discs, I always use Verbatim discs and have done for years both for DVD and CD with no problems, ok they are a bit more expensive but I think worth the extra.

·
Strong in me The Force is
765 Posts
I've had similar problems once, with a bought CD, so no copy or self-burned. (U2's Rattle and Hum, I should have known from the title...)

The rest of the time, it works ok. Except from the fact that sometimes the CD's come out VERY hot. I can image that this is not a good thing for the discs.

Anyone else had this toaster-effect?

K.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I've had similar problems once, with a bought CD, so no copy or self-burned. (U2's Rattle and Hum, I should have known from the title...)

The rest of the time, it works ok. Except from the fact that sometimes the CD's come out VERY hot. I can image that this is not a good thing for the discs.

K.
Hi yes the toaster effect is a very good way of describing it , every time i eject a disk its hot, if i make a mp3 cd the track listigs start at the wrong number and if i put 8 folders on a disk it goes all the way upto 17 folders on display, but only 8 play, but if i make a disk with nine folders on it plays in order 1-9 , this is why i think the spaceship is a good name for the civic as i think an alien has been playing about with the wiring :p:p

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
I've always found that the best way with CDR's is to stick to good quality (TDK, Verbs etc) and burn at the slowest speed available.

And never use stickly labels.

The CD's do come out like toast though but don't seem to affect the playing on mine.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using TDK and also put sticky labels on them but that never affected their performance any other CD player to date! I think the Civic CD player is just too sensitive to minor disc imperfections or heat effects. My CD's also come out sizzling to the point it could cook bacon!!!

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
I used to use labels but since they started producing printable CDR's I moved over to that.

That Canon IP4000 was worth every penny, not only prints on CD's but also has duplex.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts

K.
With pressed CDs the problem may be caused by copy protection algorithms, with CD-Rs by bad burn quality (usually too fast burning)

·
Premium Member
7,762 Posts
I used to use labels but since they started producing printable CDR's I moved over to that.

That Canon IP4000 was worth every penny, not only prints on CD's but also has duplex.
I guess you're not using the duplex function for your CDs though? :wink:

·
Registered
201 Posts
No probs here, using CD-RWs mainly cos I change my WMAs around quite a bit and don't want to keep sending CD-Rs to the landfill sites :)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I've noticed that file access can get quite slow if you burn a lot of folders on a disc. Happened to me once by accident when iTunes created a separate folder for almost every track. That made mp3 playback quite annoying. I now burn all mp3s directly into the root of the CD (I like them played back randomly anyway), improving access speed considerably.

·
Administrator
21,252 Posts
Thats useful

What's the max number of tracks you can get into the root?

(too lazy to go out to the carpark and get the manual) :)

If it's over 99 I'm stuffed cos most of mine break that :(

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
SInce a CD can only hold 700MB, the number of tracks on my CDs is usually around 150. And yes, you can fit them all in the root, no problem. ;-)

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Hi Guys,

How can I fit the most of my songs on a CD or DVD (450 odd). Can I use a DVD which should hold up to about 800???

Tom

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the player can take dvd's.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Probably not, another great Honda cost cutting method, just wondered how many songs I should theoretically fit on a CD (so far barely 150), as I'm sure someone on here has fitted at least 300 odd?? (Can't find the post).

Tom

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the player can take dvd's.
It can take DVDs but it will spit them out 10 seconds later :p

seriously now, there is a chance that the satnav version will be DVD compatible for map updates, but this is useless I'm afraid with mp3 content because such a disc would match no approved playback format AFAIK - but try yuor luck, who knows?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts