2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

turning the engine off after a long motorway drive last night I noticed a horrible rumbling round from the exhaust, turned it back on and noticed a weird sound coming from the exhaust. So today I took it to a local tyre/exhaust place who took a look at it.

They told me it was the heat shield that was loose and making the noise, and that they'd removed it? he even said I don't need to replace it.

I'm not very mechanically minded but surely its there for a reason? Has anyone else had this problem, and should I get it replaced or will it be okay without it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Questionable whether or not it is the heatshield; perhaps someone else knows better, but ideally they should fix the problem. The heatshield will rattle if it is not properly secured/damaged and should be fixed. Simply ripping it off sounds like a (cheap) quick fix solution.

·
Registered
123 Posts
A heatshield can usually be torn off within less than a minute, so I don't blame them! This is probably what they did if they didn't charge you; can't imagine them taking the time to properly remove it if they didn't charge. Do you happen to know what part of the exhaust it was from? Manifold, near te down pipe etc?

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I'm not sure that running without a heatshield that has been fitted for a reason is a great idea. On my previous ctdi the rear heat shield came loose as its made from aluminium and the holes had become enlarged allowing the thing to rattle. It was repaired with over size washers free by Kwik Fit whom I have as much time for as I do Halfrauds unfortunately.

I would look into getting it reinstated at the earliest convenience, you wouldn't want something to get overly hot/catch fire etc.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure that running without a heatshield that has been fitted for a reason is a great idea. On my previous ctdi the rear heat shield came loose as its made from aluminium and the holes had become enlarged allowing the thing to rattle. It was repaired with over size washers free by Kwik Fit whom I have as much time for as I do Halfrauds unfortunately.

I would look into getting it reinstated at the earliest convenience, you wouldn't want something to get overly hot/catch fire etc.
Hmm, I'll swing by tomorrow morning then. I did think it odd, hence the post. Thanks for your replies guys

·
Registered
123 Posts
Heatshield is to protect the body or other components from getting hot from the engine, or (in your case) the exhaust. You could be 100% fine (that area doesn't emit too much heat) or you could be at risk (area does get hot). Unless you know which of the two it is, you're at risk and it'd be advisable to get it replaced

1 - 12 of 12 Posts