2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My CDTI 2.2 06 has lost nearly all its power yesterday since it, I assume, had an unscheduled impact with the ground (drove to fast up a steep driveway).

When I rev the engine over 2500 - 3000 rpm I can feel the turbo kick in but it feels like I have lost about 50% of the performance but it sounds normal. Before getting to 3krpm~ there is almost no turbo boost at all and I can here a scraping ish sound coming from the passenger side.

Tried to move the car after it had cooled down and it refused to even rev up. Literally had my foot to the floor and the rev counter barley moved from 800~ rpm. I had to wait for the engine to get warm before the car as even let me move it. I cannot see any smoke of any colour coming from the exhaust or under bonnet though only checked while idle and not getting any plumes behind me while on the road. Cannot see any leaks on the floor etc. and I can eventually get to 60 MPH.

Any ideas on what is causing the issue? Help much appreciated.

Cheeers, ZSL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intercooler pipe buddy. Has either split or just come apart. Time to get underneath and inspect the pipes. If u have lost all power then the problem should be fairly obvious.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Cheers James. Just spoke to Halfords and they are saying the same. Unfortunately I dont have a drive to get underneath the car and inspect the damage :(

·
Bye bye Honda...
5,912 Posts
Cheers James. Just spoke to Halfords and they are saying the same. Unfortunately I dont have a drive to get underneath the car and inspect the damage :(
The boost pipework is accessible from the engine bay. But the intercooler should also be checked, which may require you to park up somewhere convenient to take a good look.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Had a similar problem with the VW T5, it had the intercooler removed for another part to be replaced and the garage hadn't put the IC inlet hose back on properly.
A NA diesel engine is not much fun after a loud bang (where the pipe blew off the spigot) and it just needed putting back on and tightening. Hopefully this is your issue - it would be a pretty easy and cheap fix compared to what else it could be!
If you find the pipe still on the intercooler then try and check for splits or cracks.
They're pretty heavy duty but if its perished it could still crack.
As your engine runs I would say it must be a pretty fundamental part of the turbo system that has gone wrong, intercooler is the best place to start looking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The boost pipework is accessible from the engine bay. But the intercooler should also be checked, which may require you to park up somewhere convenient to take a good look.
Is that under the plastic cover or viewable w/o removing it?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
So does it catch?? As in the starter motor stops and the engine takes over then stops??

What happens if u try and give the accelerator pedal a push once the engine has caught on?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So does it catch?? As in the starter motor stops and the engine takes over then stops??

What happens if u try and give the accelerator pedal a push once the engine has caught on?

It sounds like it's catching but starting with my foot down on the accelerator has not effect.

I cannot see any fluids under the car .

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you checked the intercooler?

If there is insufficient air to combust the fuel you will just flood the engine and then it won't start until it clears, which could take a while.

Could also check the other air inlet pipes to see if there are any issues.
Possibly worth reading the fault codes if you can, and if there are any.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How could you not see that yourself?!?!
Was looking for issues under the car. Did take the RAC man at least a whole 10 minutes to spot it ... that's my excuse. :duck:

The fitting was a 5.5 mm so had to take it into garage in the end but they popped it on with a bit of wd40 and some grunt work ... didn't charge me either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts