2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1253 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thought I'd start a thread up seeing as I have been pottering with my civic for a bit and have now got the civinfo bug and have started making 'plans'.... :cool:

I did not buy the car due to wanting one really. After a couple of sunday cars - a really nice Z4 (which I couldn't use much due to having 2 small kids) then a convertible 3 series (which liked petrol so I couldn't use for work), some dozy plank of a woman 'thought there was room' to nip out in front of me on a round about and wrote off my daily (306 pug). It was getting on a bit and had done 120k, but it was my mother in laws from new and had been well cared for so had another 3-4 years left at least. Unfortunately that was not how the insurance company saw it. They went 50:50 on the crash and I was handed £500! great! So, the BMW had to be chopped in for a diesel (I do 50+ miles per day to work). Went to look at a mini and a ford focus and came home with the civic – 07 plate 2.2 iCDTi SE
That was over a year ago, and I must be honest all I have done is wash it occasionally since then, although looking at the photo here of it about to have its first spring wash you wouldn't think so! (I do love it really even though this photo suggests otherwise!)

Then about 2 months ago it went in for a service and this was how it was when it came home.... bumper not fitting and the grill all wobbly. Closer inspection and time spent on civinfo working out how to remove panels etc showed that someone had, at some point, reversed into the grill and broken all of its clips. Further inspection found that it had caused the support bracket under the headlight to be bent right back. The bumper had obviously just been shoved back on and had held until now.

So .... new grill time... (and headlight support bracket)
Thats when the time spent on here had an effect and I noticed how nicely done some of the mods where and what can be achieved..... first up then was to make my 'plump' little civic a little sportier looking and seeing as I had to get a new grill, a sports one was ordered and fitted (oh and I washed the car too! ;) )

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up was to do something about the head unit. Two things bug me about it; firstly no way of connecting aux/USB/ipod and secondly no Bluetooth for calls. So, more time spent on here looking at what can be done, I decided to go for a new unit rather than any kind of add on for the Honda one. Took the plunge and bought a unit/fascia /connects 2 loom from here and away I went. I must say that the write ups on here are fantastic and have been so helpful as have some of the chaps that have returned my pm’s when I’ve been stuck – thanks to you all, especially Syx and Liam (x5252x). What was quite a panic though was the HU asking for a password which the previous owner said was not needed, but was defo required to get the HU to work. The internet came to my rescue again though with a test mode hack that allowed me to find said password and all was good in the world again.
Installed headunit, with the GPS under that flat dash section and the microphone in the top right hand corner of the windscreen

I then bought a wireless reverse camera, hoping that being wireless it would be easier to set up than running wires through the car. Nope! It proved to be a bit of a mare, and when I did get it trial fitted the connection caused the picture to flicker and drop out – not good. So I made myself up a long enough run of cable and made it into a hard wired system, cutting out the sender & receiver. It was also originally a number plate mounted camera, which I didn’t like as it was too close to the tail gate handle, so I converted it into a one I could fit under the rear centre light unit and ran everything through – and it now works perfectly, although I can’t work out why the VSS isn’t telling the HU to get louder at speed. Maybe it’s a setting on the pioneer AVIC-F940BT, but I can’t find it anywhere – any pioneer HU owners know?

fron the back the camera is not very noticeable ....

you can just see it here ....

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, next ….. after reading through other projects I liked the idea of ‘de-tangoing’ as it seemed to make made a big difference. Three days later a box from Cox’s arrived with two new clear light housings and an EGR gasket kit. The EGR clean was not nice on the knuckles. I had hoped to find it 60-90% blocked and thus notice a massive improvement as some of the other civinfo users have found, but alas it was only 10-15% so I doubt it’ll wow me much, but at least its done now.

De-tangoing occurred last week and was again a very easy mod having read through the fab posts on how to do it easily. I think these and the grill have made a definite improvement.

even just cleaning out the surrounds of the lights made a difference - check out the green gunk that had accumulated around the edges of the centre sections! half an hour washing with a toothbrush made all the difference!

However, since being on here I have really seen the difference to a car some of the external mods make, such as splitters and wheels etc. so I decided to hatch a plan as I wanted my ‘plump’ little car to be a little sportier, but without breaking the bank or being too much hassle. So, I have spent a fair amount of time chasing parts and have made inroads into finding parts that will hopefully transform the outside of the car.... :D

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also - bought a Type R gear knob from Tezza - thanks mate and a gaiter....

Used a die to extend the thread down a little and also cut it so that the knob details will be horizontal when the knob is fully tightened, so no need for a bolt.

all fitted up and the fascia back in after the head unit install... really pleased with it all...

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
other bits bought .... can't be doing with the 'gunk' thing so got myself a spare from cox's....

and the bootliner came from stuk20a2 - thanks matey. I use the car for dump runs and general family haulage so wanted to protect the boot a bit...

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so today I replaced the outer trim on my SE steering wheel. Written up a 'how to' as although it looks like it should be easy, its a bit of a pain, so hopefully the mods will add it to that section...

managed to adapt the left hand piece I bought from Chris on here last week into a right hand piece ....

steering wheel went from this ...

to this.....

really pleased with it :D

1 - 20 of 1253 Posts