2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Center console 2019 upgrade. Interesting.

7K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  M8TJT 
#1 ·
#5 ·

As you can see, not looking too bad.
It took me 3 hours, because I really wanted all the seams to be straight. It is minor problems o get the sharp corners to look as from factory.
Another disadvantage is the fact that the original gap between the mid section and the sides are gone. Now it is leather against leather when sliding the top section causing friction.

#8 ·
Hi, this is the result from the front door armrest. The job was not easy, you definitely need to be a handy man. I used tool from previous center consol installation together with the ones included. I also had to heat up and change the angel of the tools to get down in the pocket, when trying to get the leather in the gap on the inside out side. Double tools, because sometimes I had to widen the gap with one tool while pushing the leather into the gap with the other one. I had to use principles like when putting on the tyre to te bicycle rim.
Often the job was very hard, I had to use a sharp falt screwdriver to push the leather into the gaps.

It's a good advice to start training with the rear doors, in order to be more skill at the front doors. Later I also noticed that it is possible to slightly lift the plastic part in front (with the window buttons).
But the final result is ok. Nothing wrong with the product itself. Personally, I think the original fabrics will look terrible after a few years of use. This will be possible to keep clean.

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads up on that. Looks pretty good to me. Is the leather just pushed into the gaps then?
Incidentally, the plastic bits with the switches on them (all 4) are just clipped down and a trim tool easily(ish) removes them from the door panel.

#10 ·
The leather is fastened by 2 side adhesive tape all over the surface, but it is as you say, just pushed into the gap. Sometimes the gap is not 90 just straight in, sometimes, like the bottom line, it is maybe 60 degrees upwards. You can test with some tool how tight it is between the armrest and the sidewall.
It is also tricky to get the seam totally straight, it is no real natural line to follow, just a soft round corner. As you can see in my picture, it is not 100% straight. But next time……….
It is good to check in advance, in what direction you find space behind the gaps. And no hurry, 1 hour /armrest.
Look in this video, start at 5 minutes, how to do the job
But it will be much more heavy to push the leather into the gaps, than you can see in the movie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.