2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a noise coming from what sounds like inside the central air vent section?

When the fan is on level 5 or above with or without A/C it sounds like somethings flapping around or loose. It's intermittent, but frequent. If I change the mode to anything but vent mode, it goes away.

Any ideas? Could this be a loose leaf or something got in to the system?

Anywhere I can check or remove any such possibility?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a similar issue when the center vent closest to the driver is at a certain angle it creates and annoying noise. It's going back in soon so I'll report back...

I like the car a lot but I must say all these niggles have ruined the experience and put me off Honda in future.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Never have I been so torn by a car I've owned. It's the most expensive I've bought, and I enjoy so much of it, but there's a hell of a lot 'baggage' tied to the positives.

It appears there's a lot of the same issues cropping up (which you KhabibSmesh share with me). I will mention it when it goes in for it's 3rd sunroof rattle fix attempt in a weeks time, but I don't hold much hope. None of the 'trim' rattles have been resolved at all and I have had to fix them myself. I still can't pin point some of the rattles. The Honda dealer clearly can't or won't spend any time on them unless they're listed on Honda's 'Technical database' as a known issue.

I guess the dealer doesn't get 'paid' by Honda if it's not on the database... reading between the lines...

This has tarnished Honda for me. I think a Hyundai, Kia or Skoda will be my next car in 3+ years time, or earlier if these niggles bother me too much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine did this today with ac on auto and fan was spinning hard. Was the centre right vent also. Think Ill live with it unless a well known solution is found, dont want my dash pulled apart.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Honda dealer recently looked at this for me but couldn’t hear it and therefore couldn’t investigate. An annoyance to live with I guess. Unless anyone has any info as to whether it’s straightforward enough to remove the front of the vent in order to have a look inside?

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Are you sure this isn't the 'whistle' issue already known about and a solution available with a modified pipe ?

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
Wouldn't be that K as you can't hear the whistle if the fan is turned up to 5.
The whistle is not very loud, but bloody annoying. Thank goodness Honda have fixed mine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure this isn't the 'whistle' issue already known about and a solution available with a modified pipe ?
Definitely not the modified pipe 'whistle' issue. I had that fix applied to mine and it 100% resolved it. This is a separate issue, which for me cropped up a few months after the 'whistle' noise fix.

This isn't a whistle it sounds like something flapping, or catching in the air flow - maybe even a plastic clip on the inside of the vent director.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Honda dealer recently looked at this for me but couldn’t hear it and therefore couldn’t investigate. An annoyance to live with I guess. Unless anyone has any info as to whether it’s straightforward enough to remove the front of the vent in order to have a look inside?
I got the exact same response!

Oh and my aircon has no gas in, I bought the car 3 months ago (used, 18 plate), they've found no leak in the system and want £228 to gas it.

...waiting for a response from Honda. If I have to pay for it I will never buy another Honda again!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frustrating isn't it? I do wonder if my Honda dealership only take seriously things that 'exist' on the Honda technical database they have access to as a Honda Franchise dealer.

KhabibSmesh - Please get in touch with Honda UK customer services if the dealer insist on charging for this, I find it nearly impossible to believe that they would expect you to pay for the gas for the air conditioning.

Unless you've done something unthinkable, which I'm sure you haven't, I don't know how any car manufacturer could charge for such a thing after just 3 months of ownership! The car is effectively brand new and such an issue must be due to something out of your control, therefore they are responsible. Pretty basic consumer law stuff really.

Good luck with it.

Regarding the vent noise I'm just directing it differently so it's less noticeable (but still there). I use climate control all of the time, so on hot days I notice it much more as the air con has to blow faster. Perhaps eventually Honda will recognise it and issue a fix, like with the air con whistle, or if not this forum or CivicX.com may find a fix we can apply ourselves.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been warm this week so have noticed this 'noise' more than usual. It isn't 100% consistent for me. Is it for you KhabibSmesh?

Most of the time it's there, and it has varying levels of 'looseness'. Sometimes it does it straight away, others after a few minutes. Once it has started though it doesn't stop at all until stopped and started again later on.

Is there any 'service' manual on this central air vent section or is it a whole load of dash board components removed to get any kind of access?

I've given up with Honda dealing with, and within reason I'll try myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts