2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my Civic (2.2 diesel 56) locks itself. For example if I'm sitting in my car (key out of ignition), doing whatever one does sitting in a car with the key out of the ignition (feel free to use your imagination [but it generally doesn't involve women, well hasn't thus far]).

My car will lock itself. Is this a feature? For example when I get to work early I'll remove the key from ignition and play on my phone, and a few minutes later the car will lock itself. I won't have even opened the door, so it's not even like I left the car forgetting to lock it.

I'm just concerned. For example in a hypothetical scenario that I leave the car with keys on the seat (for whatever reason), which I have done briefly a few times before. My car will take it upon itself to lock it? I like that it's taking initiative and all, but if it wants to be helpful, it'd be nice if it could fix the clutch or something.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
When you go to your car , unlocking it by remote, you have about 30 seconds to open the doors or boot before it self locks itself.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I'm just concerned. For example in a hypothetical scenario that I leave the car with keys on the seat (for whatever reason), which I have done briefly a few times before. My car will take it upon itself to lock it?
If you get into the habit of only removing the key when you are actually getting out of the car, then this will remove any cause for concern.
Thinking about it.....i cant recall a time when ive continued to sit in my car for any length of time after removing the key. Its just a natural reaction for me to grab the key out of the ignition then immediately open the door and get out. :)

P.S. Looks like the swear filter doesnt like your username. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
When you go to your car , unlocking it by remote, you have about 30 seconds to open the doors or boot before it self locks itself.
Same when you remove the keys from the ignition, if you haven't opened a door in 30 seconds the doors lock - I don't understand why.

OP shouldn't have a problem leaving the keys on the seat and getting out of the car - but is this wise - some opportunist thief could steal their car :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Just carried out a series of tests on my own car regarding the automatic locking feature, and i believe the OP my have a fault if his is operating as stated. Either that or the way it operates on newer cars has been changed, but then that doesnt explain why its still doing the same on NoNumpty's car, because mine is the same year. :confused:

The only time the automatic locking feature is activated on my car, is when i unlock it from the outside then do not open a door within approx 30 seconds.
The locks will not activate if i am sitting inside the car(ignition previously on), no matter where the key is.
It seems to be that once a door is opened, even if you close it again straight away, the automatic locking will not operate.

I looked in my handbook and it states the following about unlocking the vehicle -
"If you do not open any door or the tailgate within 30 seconds, the doors and the tailgate automatically relock and the security system sets"

Looking for this in the handbook helped me find something i previously missed. :D
I didnt realise that you had to press the remote locking button twice within 5 seconds to activate the deadlocks. I just assumed they were automatically set as standard.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Just carried out a series of tests on my own car regarding the automatic locking feature, and i believe the OP my have a fault if it is operating as stated. Either that or the way it operates on newer cars has been changed, but then that doesnt explain why its still doing the same on NoNumpty's car, because mine is the same year. :confused:

The only time the automatic locking feature is activated on my car, is when i unlock it from the outside then do not open a door within approx 30 seconds.
The locks will not activate if i am sitting inside the car(ignition previously on), no matter where the ignition key is.
It seems to be that once a door is opened, even if you close it again straight away, the automatic locking will not operate.

I looked in my handbook and it states the following about unlocking the vehicle -
"If you do not open any door or the tailgate within 30 seconds, the doors and the tailgate automatically relock and the security system sets"

Looking for this in the handbook helped me find something i previously missed. :D
I didnt realise that you had to press the remote locking button twice within 5 seconds to activate the deadlocks. I just assumed they were automatically set as standard.
Perhaps I have a fault too then :( Not bothered as I 99% of the time leave the key in the ignition until I'm ready to get out of the car. One time I was about to open the door when I remembered to look for something in the glove box - while I was rummaging the doors locked :confused:

Although the sentence highlighted doesn't state within 30 seconds of what :popcorn2:

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Yes it does. :)
Its in the section for unlocking the vehicle using the remote transmitter - page 153 of the Civic 5 door handbook.
I know - I was be facetious :)

Come to think of it I could of leant on the keys as I reach over to the glove box :oops:

·
Unofficial Trader
1,295 Posts
My car will take it upon itself to lock it? I like that it's taking initiative and all, but if it wants to be helpful, it'd be nice if it could fix the clutch or something.
:lol::)

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
How do you set it to lock automatically whilst driving????
This was only on the earlier models as mentioned.
Honda decided to delete this action after a year or so, as it could be an accident risk ie :-- you have a shunt and are knocked out, other motorists can't get you out without smashing the glass.

There is a "How To" if you do a search, but I wouldn't go for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts