2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i had a cray idea! again.

I want to put a row of slim speakers down the centre of the roof.

what would be the best way to go about it?

would it be advisable to get a small amp to power them?

or would they run direct from the door speaker/?

any advise or CONSTRUCTIVE critiscm greatly appreciated..

also in your experience which make/model of speaker would you personally recommend?

·
The Guru
4,207 Posts
You'll need an amp to run them. I've seen roof mounted amps before but not speakers. I think theres probably a reason for that

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Not a crazy idea my friend as long as it has a good purpose ;)

You will need pretty slim speakers and a strong construction so that the speakers can fit and hold them up without dropping down. I am confident it can be done (based on watching pimp my ride lol).

Based on experience I would recommend Focal. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

If it was me, I would just upgrade the speakers to Focal, dynamat insulation and a slim amp/amps under the rear seats. Not exactly 'original' but it would be easier for you to remove them once you sell the car.

I am very curious if you do go ahead with your initial plan

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Hi good luck with this. It is possible I believe volvo (yes volvo) looked into this about 10 years ago from memory although I couldn't find anything on the net about it. If I remember correctly they were going to use the sort that are thin flat panels that resonate, due to the lack of height required. I think they would also have needed subwoofers too as that type are pretty tinny usually.
Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a crazy idea my friend as long as it has a good purpose ;)

You will need pretty slim speakers and a strong construction so that the speakers can fit and hold them up without dropping down. I am confident it can be done (based on watching pimp my ride lol).

Based on experience I would recommend Focal. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

If it was me, I would just upgrade the speakers to Focal, dynamat insulation and a slim amp/amps under the rear seats. Not exactly 'original' but it would be easier for you to remove them once you sell the car.

I am very curious if you do go ahead with your initial plan
Yeah i want to insulate the whole roof and the doors first. I think i will keep the oem speakers and just see if the soundproofing improves them. I dont think they are that bad tbh. Im trying to avoid the sub in boot layout. And just inmprove the overall sound quality by having more of a surround sound thing on the go.

I was thinging of getting something made from balsa wood as its quite light and strong. Something that resembled and upside down sled with rings in for the speakers.

I might gie impulse a call as they were really helpful when i did my DD.

·
I drive my Mistress...
874 Posts
I recommend Kicker. As far as the sub in the boot, you can put a shallow mount in the compartment back there like I did (check my "Mistress" thread in the gallery section)!

Sctrpop used Tapatalk to post this!!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have abandoned this idea after speaking with an expert.
Your right bupps the loss of stereo imaging would be the main concern, also in the event of an accident speakers flying about would be very dangerous.

i MAY however use a couple of high quality tweeters on the roof either side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Central speaker on the dashboard

I am thinking of using central speaker too, I believe found a good place at the dashboard - there is a plenty of room at the centre of the dashboard, just behind the central display. If you remove the display, you can see there is enough space behind it to fit a standard 4" or even 4" x 6" speaker. Speaker would be playing upwards, "reflecting" the sound in the front glass (windshield). You would have to make an appropriate hole in the dashboard for the speaker, also finding a suitable speaker that does not stick too much will not be easy.

Reason? Fine tune the sound stage (i.e. via Alpine PXE-H650 or similar) and make the phone and navi instructions to come from the center speaker. And yes, be different :)

Does any of you came by a suitable speaker? Have you ever try to make a hole in the dashboard?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts