2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a few people undertaking carbon fibre and glass fibre work recently.

Myself included. I hadnt had any problems health wise until a few days ago so I want to share my experience so that those of you wishing to have a crack at this can learn from my mistakes.

All was going great until I got a bit lax with the protective side of things. I have been wearing nitrile gloves and safety masks, but on the odd occasiob I would skip this step foolishly thinking I was pretty safe.
WRONG!.
I got a bit of resin on my skin and didnt ventilate the room properly, usually this wouldnt mKe much difference as I have done it beforw without consequence.

However this time I required a trip to the pharmacy.
Every single finger, the backs of my hands and my cheeks and forehead where the fumes made contact have erupted in painful hives, they still havent gone down and the urge to scratch myself as I type this is overwhelming.

I look like im related to some sort of lizard atm. I will get a pic so you can see what I mean.

Please dont make this silly mistake and ensure you wear adequate protection. You NEED barrier cream to prevent the resin and fibres touching your skin.
ive been on antihystamine pills and cream for two days now.

Hope this is of use to those interested in working with composites

·
The Party Organizer!
734 Posts
I remember when you started doing it, and was having some horrible headaches... I was worried sick back then, and I'm worried sick now!
I hope you get better soon, and may this serve as a warning! As I said before, all this "chemical stuff" is quite nasty, better to be safe than sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Sorry to hear this hope your back on your feet soon :(

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
that's not very nice at all !!! :( hope it clears up ASAP !!

skoolboy !! always wear your PPE haha ;)

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
I knew the fumes would be dangerous, never thought about skin contact though. You could have used your lizard-like appearance to scare the hell out of those bailiffs you encoutered if you'd been switched on.

Taking a break from the project for a few days I hope

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Oh no! I hope youre better soon! Im sticking to being raped out of my money from Mugen lol

·
無限 Unlimited
3,740 Posts
You learnt from painful experience unfortunately but good heads up for others mate and get well soon

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
Hope you get better soon mate, that sounds nasty..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.