2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Bought my latest FN2 in June 2021, and have since been tweeking it and tidying things up

It's a 2009 car, originally from the South, and I'm the 4th owner. It has loads of history with it, and has clearly been looked after, and used, well.

I use it to do a huge motorway commute of 220 miles each way, and plan on taking it around Europe later this year or next year.

I'll start the progress off properly in the next post

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Road surface Asphalt Plant Vegetation Grass

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

So here is the car not long after I picked it up. It came with a few modifications such as;
HKS Intake
HKS Legamax Exhaust
Wheel Spacers
Fugen Spoiler

I realised pretty soon after buying it that the Air Conditioning didn't work, so that was something to look into, it also didn't have a working radio, so the first couple of jobs were already in motion.

The radio was in fairness terrible, the wiring was a mess, with old and unused wiring loom in there, as well as wiring just twisted together and taped. If I'm doing something it's getting done properly, so I pulled all the birds nest wiring out which included the aftermarket radio loom, GPS antenna, microphone, and a bluetooth car kit. I also ended up changing the fascia panel, as the one that was fitted had damage on the back of it.

I originally fitted an Xtrons unit, but this has since been replaced with a Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB which is fantastic!

So with all the old wiring removed, the old components removed, the antenna wired back in to the rear screen, and the new radio in, I had a look at the AC fault.

I changed the relay with a Honda one, which didn't fix it, so looked a bit further and there was a hole in the condenser. New condenser and a re-gas and it's been blowing cold since! Simple fixes which add up to a much better and maintained aging Type R, which is the basis of this car and thread.
Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Grille Hood

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A trip for a major service and a look around underneath the car showed it needed the underseal topping up, whilst it was in for a service the rocker cover was also changed for a refurbished one, with dress up nuts and washers to top it off. It also had a clutch damper bypass and poly engine and gearbox mounts at the same time. Nice little addition of a red H key fob.
Water Motor vehicle Blue Hood Automotive exterior

Car Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design

Grille Wood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire Grille

Peripheral Input device Material property Font Audio equipment

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By this point it was getting nearer to autumn, and I wanted to get the underseal topped up before the bad weather and gritted roads arrived. A clean, Krust and underseal where it needed it and that was another one ticked off. Took it for a detail, and that was pretty much it for winter. Earlier this year it went for an oil and filter service, chain stretch check (tensioner not even 25% extended) lower pulley check and new J&R driveshafts.

Tidied up the engine bay a bit more with some gold heat reflecting tape on the intake (I don't think it does anything, but looks a bit nicer with and also fitted a suede gaiter and Skunk 2 gear knob.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle Automotive lighting Car

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Window Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Steering part Plant Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering part Mode of transport Car

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now we're basically up to date on the car, it had a couple of trips to the Isle of Wight, some stainless clamps to tidy up the engine bay a bit more and a headlight changed as the headlight adjustment motor broke! You could hear it spinning, but the light wouldnt adjust up and down, so a strip down showed an old LED sidelight had got stuck in the adjuster arm and led to a cog stripping in the motor itself. They were completely unobtainable, so I fitted a new light instead.

The brakes also began to stick on the rear right, very slightly, but I want the car as close to a usable perfect as I can get, so I had a look at it, it turned out the slider pins were seized, with one needing a vice to remove it, it was so badly corroded. The brake still stuck, so I bought a set of refurbished ones, and fitted those. It was going to go to a garage for this, but the parts (not calipers, but pads and other parts) arrived late, so I ended up fitting them myself. It still needs one caliper fitting to complete the set, but I ran out of time to do it, and it's still working fine, just a different colour to the rest. I think next I'll fit some new centre caps to it, and get some decent pads for the front and fit some new discs I have for it.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Water
White Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design Car

·
Registered
2010 Milano Red FN2 Type R GT #R22063
323 Posts
Wow, that's a serious first thread! Nice to see the car being very well maintained. I do have to admit, I think I'm going to have to get my hands on a CW edition soon, before all the standard ones are gone forever. Everyone who buys one seems to mod them! Great Post though and I thoroughly look forward to seeing more updates!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Last of the new calipers fitted today and fluid now flushed with ATE200, haven't got any photos of them yet but make a nice difference and the old calipers were definitely on the worn out side! Thinking PBS pads for the front when I fit the Pagid blanks

·
Registered
Honda Civic Type S GT 2.2cdti
61 Posts
Last of the new calipers fitted today and fluid now flushed with ATE200, haven't got any photos of them yet but make a nice difference and the old calipers were definitely on the worn out side! Thinking PBS pads for the front when I fit the Pagid blanks
I'm sure a lot of people have used PBS pads. Are they meant to be night and day difference for example compared to brembo?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sure a lot of people have used PBS pads. Are they meant to be night and day difference for example compared to brembo?
Yeah I've only heard good things, they give off a lot of dust apparently which is slightly annoying with the white wheels, but it's worth it for good pads, I actually need to check if they have good cold bite, I'm sure they have as hear people use them on the road as well

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I've only heard good things, they give off a lot of dust apparently which is slightly annoying with the white wheels, but it's worth it for good pads, I actually need to check if they have good cold bite, I'm sure they have as hear people use them on the road as well
Spunds about right. Im using the type r brakes on my 2.2 i fitted brembo pads and one side is squeaky. Took the pads out and sanded em a bit.. after a few miles the squeak started slightly faint but definitely not as bad as before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I used brembo on my Milano but hear the PBS are a good pad to use, I've got yellow stuff at the moment but never really drive the car hard so can't comment on what they're like with heat in them, but they're OK from cold and have a decent feel to them

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used yellow stuff on my stock 2.2 calipers and were decent. Now the standard brembos on the type R calipers are better. Just need to get rid of the noise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts