2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussion thread for the Wiki page Changing brakes. Please use this thread only for discussing what should or should not appear in the Wiki article. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Hi
Great article
Are the pads you used a lot more expensive than genuine ones.
If so is the extra expense worth it
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is a great article which I followed successfully to change my front break pads. However do the same instructions apply for the rear pads?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Is the windback tool a left or right handed thread? Thinking of changing my pads but want to be sure I have all the correct tools before starting.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Will a simple G clamp do the job?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You really should remove the pad carriers aswell and clean the surfaces on these aswell as clean up the metal shims that the pads slide into. Will prevent the pads from seizing in the carrier and then binding on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not quite, you'll need a caliper wind back tool to push the piston back into the caliper.
Ok, If I get the windback tool. Do I follow the instructions the same but just replace the G-clamp with the windback tool. Or are there any extra steps or precausions I must take?

By-the-way, where can I get the windback tool? Are they standard, do I have to get one that is specific to the civic?

·
**R-0571**
251 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I bought a 20 quid one from GSF, havn't used it yet on the backs, but worked a treat on the fronts..... :) I would add the reminder to top up fluid levels to max and to be careful of the hoses. Also mention that you should copper grease the backs of the pads and allow 200 miles before worrying about screeching (mine squealed for approx 165 miles before bedded in with no squeaking).

Tom

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wouldn't they be better off left clean, the grease would attract dust, and in time clog up and the brakes would bind anyway?:worms:
No because you don't need much and is common practice to use it. (My bro is a mechanic with 25 years experience)

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
yep, advice is "sparingly" with every thing greasy around brake components...

Anyone not sure can always ask at JAE for tips advice etc :)

·
Type EX,A guy called Mark
3,435 Posts
It will on the front calipers but not on the rear ones.

Have a read of this. :)
I used a G clamp with a pair of bent nose pliers, clamp to press while turning with the pliers clamped in between it did the job.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts