2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My FN1 has been using 95 for 3 years now, though I am tempted to change over to 98 due to reviews and such.

Now my question is, how do I go about doing this? Do I make sure it says "30km" or something on my dashboard and then fill it up or?

Thanks in advance,

KizZamP-

·
AKA - Vin Petrol
1,821 Posts
What you do is drive to a petrol-station and in stead of using the 95 Ron pump, use the 98 Ron pump.

Reactions: mpn_daedalus

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Use up as much as you can of the 95 you've got left. You might not notice the difference until you've filled up for the second time. But don't hit 88mph otherwise you'll see "some crazy s***"

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
You have no worries just fill her up with 98, i use 99 instead of the standard 95 here and tbh it does make a difference not very noticeably to performance if at all but it is cleaner and your mpg will rise!

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
You ever notice that the extra cost is worth it for the more miles you get out of a tank?? Or is it more for a smoother running engine?
I did a test on both my old astra and my civic and on average costs me £2 to £3 extra and i get 30ish mpg extra on a motorway (which is all i get to the gallon)

So IMO for the smoothness and the extra £3 quid i would profit well worth it!

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
If you're not paying for the fuel go for it.

If you are, don't bother. I saw 1mg more for having 98 RON in my Type S.

When you compare that to the extra cost per litre, it was costing me far more that the returns.

As for performance I noticed no real difference.

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Stick to 95 octane, it will make no difference.
I agree, I've tried it on the FN1 a few times and it makes no difference.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Stick to 95 octane, it will make no difference.
+1, it's all marketing unless your ECU can detect and change the engine mapping for the higher RON :worms:

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
+1, it's all marketing unless your ECU can detect and change the engine mapping for the higher RON :worms:
I think prob at least a Type R spec engine is required. Anything with 250+bhp and a turbo should do well on 98ron

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
I think prob at least a Type R spec engine is required. Anything with 250+bhp and a turbo should do well on 98ron
Even that would be pointless unless your ignition is tuned for it and even after its tuned it makes hardly any difference. Your be able to advance the ignition only a little bit more, really pointless.

A cheaper alternative is a 10% Methanol mixture with petrol as not only does it boost your octane rating, as it burns it also has a cooling affect, which is particularly good for charged cars. Tesco acheive a higher octane rating in their 99 octane fuel in a similiar way by using ethanol but that doesnt have the cooling properties that methanol has plus ethanol is quite a bit more expensive for obvious reaons.

Loads of Suburu's have been running 10% methanol for a while, Lunar_tick also runs it in his FD2, again it allows him to advance the ignition a bit more. if its worth it I couldnt comment, however lunartick swears by it and he is no fool.

Ive really gone off topic now... :D

In a nutshell the higher the octane rating, the harder it is to burn

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Even that would be pointless unless your ignition is tuned for it and even after its tuned it makes hardly any difference. Your be able to advance the ignition only a little bit more, really pointless.

A cheaper alternative is a 10% Methanol mixture with petrol as not only does it boost your octane rating, as it burns it also has a cooling affect, which is particularly good for charged cars. Tesco acheive a higher octane rating in their 99 octane fuel in a similiar way by using ethanol but that doesnt have the cooling properties that methanol has plus ethanol is quite a bit more expensive for obvious reaons.

Loads of Suburu's have been running 10% methanol for a while, Lunar_tick also runs it in his FD2, again it allows him to advance the ignition a bit more. if its worth it I couldnt comment, however lunartick swears by it and he is no fool.

Ive really gone off topic now... :D

In a nutshell the higher the octane rating, the harder it is to burn
Most cars with 250+bhp would have timing to account for bigger ron's would they not? Something like a Focus RS or Bentley Conti? etc

I agree for the Type R its prob minimal difference although still worth as quite a few of us have tunes on the Flashpro?

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Most cars with 250+bhp would have timing to account for bigger ron's would they not? Something like a Focus RS or Bentley Conti? etc

I agree for the Type R its prob minimal difference although still worth as quite a few of us have tunes on the Flashpro?
Couldnt comment on other brands I'm afraid, The OP was talking about a FN1 and you mentioned the FN2. My comments relate to those two cars only.

I dont think its worth it, custom tune or not.

Then again I am a penny pincher beleive it or not :D

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Couldnt comment on other brands I'm afraid, The OP was talking about a FN1 and you mentioned the FN2. My comments relate to those two cars only.

I dont think its worth it, custom tune or not.

Then again I am a penny pincher beleive it or not :D
Ye ok, fair enough. Im admiting it will only be 1-3bhp if that on the Type R, which is a far more aggressive engine.

Although I think we are pretty decided its useless on the 1.8 between us :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.