2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what peoples technique is. I find you have to be very fast and agressive when changing hear in the vtec zone. Basicly pressing the clutch in and out as fast as I can results in a nice smooth change. Anything else I find a bit jerky. Whats the best technique for fast and smooth?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
For maximum acceleration - as fast as possible!

For maximum smoothness, the clutch should be engaging just as the revs have dropped to what they are going to be in the next gear up. The rev drop (and so gear change time) reduces as you go up the gears.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yep agree with tall of the above I also never take my foot off the accelerater when accelerating quickly and just keep it pinned to the floor continuously right through the rev range:)

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
yep agree with tall of the above I also never take my foot off the accelerater when accelerating quickly and just keep it pinned to the floor continuously right through the rev range:)
Yep thats the way , very aggresivley !

·
Premium Member
2,937 Posts
Yep thats the way , very aggresivley !
Well, reminding you that you are doing that to our own car..., not very smart!!

Your clutch and other parts wont last for long if you keep doing that.

Also, that does alow your revs to drop to mach you next gear, on the contrary!!!!

Try practice your double clutch, and find out your revs.

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Well, reminding you that you are doing that to our own car..., not very smart!!

Your clutch and other parts wont last for long if you keep doing that.

Also, that does alow your revs to drop to mach you next gear, on the contrary!!!!

Try practice your double clutch, and find out your revs.
#I don't drive it like that all the time...............only when i'm angry !!:mad:

·
Registered
882 Posts
can someone explain these techniques please? what does double clutch mean and also whats the crack with the clutchless changes? i mean is that healthy? i can envisage crunching or summit

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I occasionally double the clutch, but only very occasionally...........:oops: And never away from lights with pimped up corsa's (twiddles thumbs and looks innocent). I also find heel to toe better when romping along backroads with no VSA. :)

Tom

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I find you have to be very fast and agressive when changing hear in the vtec zone.
You certainly need to be quick to keep the revs up. But its very rewarding :D
tbh i don't really think about the gear change its a kind of instinctive thing especially when you really get to know your car. Part of the reason i don't like automatics is that i don't like any interference with this process at all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Without sounding like a biff can someone please give me a quide to the best gear change for fast pace. Mine at the momemnt is clutch down and into gear as fast as i can and foot completly off the accelerator:oops:. Thanks

·
Registered
610 Posts
Without sounding like a biff can someone please give me a quide to the best gear change for fast pace. Mine at the momemnt is clutch down and into gear as fast as i can and foot completly off the accelerator:oops:. Thanks
That's all you need.
Flat shifting like people are suggesting (Keeping foot on throttle) will kill the box and result in a good 4 figure repair bill.

Proper flat shift systems actually drop the revs for the split second the gears engaged thus allowing them to mesh correctly so keeping the revs high overloads all the drivetrain components. You mash the syncro's and gears in the box by doing it and when you lift the clutch the engines revving higher than the input shaft so your trashing your clutch.

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Yeah well they are twisty turny.............. especially when a GTTDI is closing...... I find that keeping the revs high going into sweeping bends then flooring the throttle when leaving gives good results, (i.e. just layering the power gently at first) and many 'faster cars' get a shock at how nippy it is in the top of the rev range.....

Tom

·
The Property Man
6,060 Posts
i wana learn wot this double clutching is..my friends are always going on about it..i dont have a clue what to do for it...

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
i wana learn wot this double clutching is..my friends are always going on about it..i dont have a clue what to do for it...

Have a look at the link I posted in post #9 of this thread.

I think your friends may be referring to power-shifting rather than double clutching though. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
tbh i don't really think about the gear change its a kind of instinctive thing especially when you really get to know your car.
Definatly, with my old car when i was in a good driving mood i felt like my gear changes were smooth and fast but im so not used to the civic (especially since its my first petrol) that its pretty bumpy right now :D

I used to leave my foot slightly on the accel so's to not kill all the power and so i didnt wear out the box either... then again driving is completely different when you HAVE NO TURBO!! Silly civic :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts