2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pads need changed all round, got them and I’m getting fed up waiting on my cousin (who’s a mechanic) getting back to me about when he’s free to do them.
Read that you need a windback tool for the rear caliper piston although there’s videos on how to do it without the tool.
Also that you have to tighten a couple of things to torque, I don’t have a torque wrench to make sure it’s the right torque, can that be tightened without the wrench without too much cause for concern?

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
I'd say to someone who does'nt have sufficient experience or confidence 'spannering'/working with hand tools (personally carried out most car/motorcycle repair works over 50 year span and probably chose to use a torque wrench limited to cylinder head work), really the torque wrench route would be the chosen way

·
i-Vtec
1,876 Posts
Buy a wind back set from ebay they are only about £15 and will last you years. Ive had my ebay set for about 10 years now and they have paid for themselves 10 times over. You could get away without a set for the rears using a G Camp and a pair of long nosed pliers but if they are tight in anyway you'll struggle. Lidl/Aldi sell torque wrenches every now and again for about £15 and they outperform wrenches costing 10 times as much. I pretty much only use a torque wrench for wheels anyway.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Buy a wind back set from ebay they are only about £15 and will last you years. Ive had my ebay set for about 10 years now and they have paid for themselves 10 times over. You could get away without a set for the rears using a G Camp and a pair of long nosed pliers but if they are tight in anyway you'll struggle. Lidl/Aldi sell torque wrenches every now and again for about £15 and they outperform wrenches costing 10 times as much. I pretty much only use a torque wrench for wheels anyway.
Second that. I have caliper rewind kit from Amazon for £15 and it will serve me for years - its no brainer.
Also invested in 3/8 and 1/2 Snap On torque wrenches and I always use them whenever something has to be tighten up to spec. They probably paid for themselves already with the amount of work they did - another reason to do everything yourself, so you can have more tools at home.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
you can get a basic kit for under a tenner
but id advise the full kit it has both left and right handed winders (think fords are left handed)

I wouldn't recommend the type below there soft as hell and actually harder to use as you need to force pressure on aswell as turning at same time

as for torque settings I never use torque wrench on brakes don't leave them slack but the bigger mistake people make is over tightening things resulting in snapped bolts and stretched threads
tighten till they start to nip then use a little force to nip them up there only 8mm bolts don't need to swing on them with a power bar

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
if a total novice with no or very little knowledge of using spanners they shouldn't really think of touching brakes
but we all have to learn from scratch at 1 point

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I don't know exactly what I'm doing, the question I ask myself is "if this goes wrong, what will the coroner say?"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Book it in to a reputable garage,safer that way if you"re not sure.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
if a total novice with no or very little knowledge of using spanners they shouldn't really think of touching brakes
If that is the case i.e. no or very little knowledge of using spanners, maybe better to start with light bulbs or an air filter or something

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Oh c'mon now. Every one has to learn, and OP has the right idea by asking first rather than blundering into a job that could turn out badly.
Quite agree, but i do not think brakes are the thing to start learning on, unless he has someone who knows what they are doing with him.

·
3,689 Posts
Ah Yes. No one has suggested that one before. He has an elusive cousin who possibly answers to that description, but OP can't wait for him.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Just take your time, read as many how to guides as you can find, watch a few videos too and you'll have a very good idea of what to expect. Then you'll get the job done and wonder why you didn't do it before.

Top tip, don't use cheap 12pt sockets.

What nobody can prepare you for is a rounded or sheared bolt along the way, but these things are part of the fun and tears-before-bedtime of mechanics.

And an excuse to buy more tools :)

Nut extractors anyone? Genius invention!!

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,251 Posts
I find if you are going to do brakes on a motor that you have never worked on before, always check out YouTube videos, there's thousands of them out there.
I have one of these for the rears and it works great on the Civic and any other car I've changed pads.

And one of these for the fronts that has never let me down either.

Good look...
Neil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts