2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok if im being realistic im not going to be going for a top speed run here but i would like to have a slightly more eco friendly cruiser in 6th than it is now, what ratios do i move the final drive to to achieve lower rpm at 70, i believe the fn2 is 5.1 or there abouts to start with, what will putting 4.7 in do to it in terms of rpm and top speed achievable, or maybe even lower if 4.7 isnt very much (sorry im a noob)

·
Registered
218 Posts
ok if im being realistic im not going to be going for a top speed run here but i would like to have a slightly more eco friendly cruiser in 6th than it is now, what ratios do i move the final drive to to achieve lower rpm at 70, i believe the fn2 is 5.1 or there abouts to start with, what will putting 4.7 in do to it in terms of rpm and top speed achievable, or maybe even lower if 4.7 isnt very much (sorry im a noob)

What rpm does your tachometer sit at when you are cruising at 70mph?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
What rpm does your tachometer sit at when you are cruising at 70mph?

My 2010 Civic FA5 Si sedan ( Canadian spec car ) has a final drive ratio of 4.76:1 and my RPMs at 70mgh (116kmph ) are about 3150 - 3200 RPMs.

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,282 Posts
4.7 is going to make the car feel pretty sluggish for NA. I find 5.1 pretty long already from third onwards.

If you want more cruising economy look for the longest 6th you can get.
GENUINE HONDA LONG 6TH GEAR KIT K20 | Tegiwa Imports

There's no need to do the whole FD as you can just shift up a gear earlier then have the longer 6th for cruising.
This will save some fuel but will take several thousand motorway miles before fitting and part costs balances out with fuel saving. Paired with a 4.7 FD will see even lower rpm cruising but take even longer to balance out and personally ruin the FN2's fun.

Unfortunately mfactory's gear calculator is down at the mo otherwise I could've linked that.

Reactions: Mikey421
1 - 4 of 4 Posts